1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curve banking problem?

1. Jul 27, 2007 #1
    curve banking problem???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a curve of radius 30m is banked so that a 950kg car traveling 40 km/h can round it even if the road is so icy that the coefficient of static friction is approximately zero. Find the range of speeds at which a car can travel around this curve without skidding if the coefficient of static friction between the road and the tires is 0.3

2. Relevant equations

This part i really need help in pls may i ask for any equations to use i cant even understand the problem. I can't interpret the free body diagram pls give me a formula ^^

3. The attempt at a solution

none i tried drawing a slope with an object but i don't know how to get the angle of the slope...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

What class are you taking? What equations are introduced in the chapter that this question is from? You need to show more effort before we can help you much.
  4. Jul 27, 2007 #3
    think about this
    when the car has maximum speed, friction is down the slope and when speed is minimum, friction is up the slope
  5. Jul 27, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First ignore the friction and calculate the slope of he curve from the icy case. Draw a diagram to show the forces on the car.
  6. Jul 27, 2007 #5
    How do i calculate the slope pls.. i'm taking physics natural science and the last formula our pro gave us was the coefficient of friction times normal force is equal to force of friction. so i don't know how to get the slope of the problem i don't even know how to derive where the slope came from sorry
  7. Jul 27, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Jul 28, 2007 #7
    thank you for the diagram it has been very helpful thank you very much i at least have an idea now on how to sole ^^
  9. Jul 28, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Extending it to the case of friction just involves adding the extra foces, remember that friction will act parrallel to the road in a direction to stop the car slipping.
    As you said above, friction force is the normal force * coefficent of friction.
  10. Jul 29, 2007 #9
    I guess frictional force considered in this question is the force acting perpendicular to the road which avoids the car slippin towards or away from centre of the circular track(or any kind of track, maybe call it instantaneous center) at lowest and highest speed at the curve respectively.
    the frictional force mgb_phys is considering is the force which gets the car going
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?