What Speed Range Keeps a Car from Skidding on a Banked Curve?

• Thread starter matibtst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the problem is asking for the range of speeds at which a 950kg car can travel around a curve with a radius of 30m without skidding, given a coefficient of static friction between the road and tires of 0.3. The first step is to calculate the slope of the curve without friction, and then to add the frictional forces acting parallel to the road in order to prevent skidding. The formula to use is the coefficient of friction times the normal force, and the frictional force will act in a direction to stop the car from slipping.
matibtst
curve banking problem?

Homework Statement

a curve of radius 30m is banked so that a 950kg car traveling 40 km/h can round it even if the road is so icy that the coefficient of static friction is approximately zero. Find the range of speeds at which a car can travel around this curve without skidding if the coefficient of static friction between the road and the tires is 0.3

Homework Equations

This part i really need help in pls may i ask for any equations to use i can't even understand the problem. I can't interpret the free body diagram pls give me a formula ^^

The Attempt at a Solution

none i tried drawing a slope with an object but i don't know how to get the angle of the slope...

Physics news on Phys.org
What class are you taking? What equations are introduced in the chapter that this question is from? You need to show more effort before we can help you much.

think about this
when the car has maximum speed, friction is down the slope and when speed is minimum, friction is up the slope

First ignore the friction and calculate the slope of he curve from the icy case. Draw a diagram to show the forces on the car.

How do i calculate the slope pls.. I'm taking physics natural science and the last formula our pro gave us was the coefficient of friction times normal force is equal to force of friction. so i don't know how to get the slope of the problem i don't even know how to derive where the slope came from sorry

thank you for the diagram it has been very helpful thank you very much i at least have an idea now on how to sole ^^

Extending it to the case of friction just involves adding the extra foces, remember that friction will act parrallel to the road in a direction to stop the car slipping.
As you said above, friction force is the normal force * coefficent of friction.

mgb_phys said:
friction will act parrallel to the road in a direction to stop the car slipping.

I guess frictional force considered in this question is the force acting perpendicular to the road which avoids the car slippin towards or away from centre of the circular track(or any kind of track, maybe call it instantaneous center) at lowest and highest speed at the curve respectively.
the frictional force mgb_phys is considering is the force which gets the car going

What is the curve banking problem?

The curve banking problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal way to distribute funds across multiple accounts in order to maximize interest earnings. It is also known as the "liquidity problem" or "liquidity management problem."

What factors contribute to the curve banking problem?

The curve banking problem is affected by several factors, including interest rates, the number of accounts, the amounts in each account, and the timing of withdrawals and deposits. These factors can make it challenging to determine the most efficient way to allocate funds.

How is the curve banking problem typically solved?

The curve banking problem can be solved using mathematical models, such as linear programming or dynamic programming, to find the optimal solution. These models take into account the various factors and constraints to determine the best distribution of funds.

What are some common strategies for solving the curve banking problem?

Some common strategies for solving the curve banking problem include the "bucket method," where funds are divided into different buckets based on their anticipated use, and the "cash flow matching" method, where funds are allocated to accounts based on their expected cash flow needs.

Why is the curve banking problem important?

The curve banking problem is important because it affects the financial stability and profitability of banks and other financial institutions. By finding the optimal way to allocate funds, these institutions can maximize their interest earnings and ensure they have enough liquidity to meet their financial obligations.