Curve C traced by a particle, did i draw these vectors right?

In summary, the problem asks to draw a vector representing the average velocity of a particle over a given time interval, write an expression for the velocity at a specific time, and write an expression for the unit tangent vector at that same time. The given graph and information show a single point on the x-axis labeled "1" but the problem asks for the average velocity over a different time interval. The expression for the velocity is v(3)= r'(3), but more information about r(t) is needed. The given formula for the unit tangent vector |T'(t)|= C|r'(t)| does not make sense as it is not a vector and the value of "C" is not given. The correct formula for the unit
mr_coffee
Ello again. The problem states:
The figure shows the curve C traced by a particle with position vector r(t) at time t.

(a) Draw a vector that represents the average velocity of the particle over the time interval [3,3.2]
(b) Write an expression for the velocity v(3)
(c) Write an expression for the unit tangent vect0or T(3) and draw it.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/83/lastscan7jy.jpg

I drew the vector, and in b, i think that's what they want but I'm not sure, and with C, i drew the Tagent vector t, but I'm not sure about how to write an epxression for unit vecotr T. THanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
Ello again. The problem states:
The figure shows the curve C traced by a particle with position vector r(t) at time t.

(a) Draw a vector that represents the average velocity of the particle over the time interval [3,3.2]
(b) Write an expression for the velocity v(3)
(c) Write an expression for the unit tangent vect0or T(3) and draw it.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/83/lastscan7jy.jpg

I drew the vector, and in b, i think that's what they want but I'm not sure, and with C, i drew the Tagent vector t, but I'm not sure about how to write an epxression for unit vecotr T. THanks.

I see a graph that has a single mark on the x-axis that appears to be labled "1". But the problem asked for the average velocity over t= 3 to 3.2?

The problem asked you to write an expression for v(3) and you have
v(3)= r'(3). That's a formula certainly. Are you not given any more information about r(t)? Where did you get the graph?

Your formula for the unit tangent vector at t= 3 makes no sense to me at all. You have two formulas:
[tex]k= \frac{|T'(t)|}{|r'(t)|}[/tex]
which doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with the question and
[tex]|T'(t)|= C|r'(t)|[/tex]
which doesn't make sense for several reasons- first |T'(t)| is NOT a vector and secondly that you haven't told us what "C" is. Did you mean the "k" from the first equation? If so it still doesn't make sense! You need to know |T'(t)| to find k so you can't use k to find |T'(t)|. At any rate, since you were asked to find T, why are you using T'?

Last edited by a moderator:
The instantaneous velocity or the derivative of the position vector is naturally tangent to the path of the object. The unit vector would simply by the instantaneous velocity divided by its own magnitude.

1. What is a curve C traced by a particle?

A curve C traced by a particle refers to the path that a particle follows as it moves through space. It is the trajectory of the particle.

2. How is the curve C traced by a particle represented?

The curve C traced by a particle is typically represented using vectors, which show the direction and magnitude of the particle's movement at different points along the curve.

3. What does it mean to draw vectors correctly for the curve C traced by a particle?

Drawing vectors correctly for the curve C traced by a particle means accurately representing the direction and magnitude of the particle's movement at different points along the curve. This can be done using mathematical calculations or physical measurements.

4. Can the curve C traced by a particle be a straight line?

Yes, the curve C traced by a particle can be a straight line if the particle is moving at a constant speed and in a constant direction. In this case, the vectors drawn along the curve will all have the same direction and magnitude.

5. How is the curve C traced by a particle related to physics?

The curve C traced by a particle is related to physics as it is a fundamental concept in the study of motion and mechanics. Understanding the curve traced by a particle can help scientists analyze and predict the behavior of objects in motion.