Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curve Fit, Correlation, and Computer Software

1. Aug 31, 2005 #1
    A computer program, MicroLab, deals with finding the best fit curve, or allowing for linear regression of the first, second, and third orders, of a given set of data (particularly modeling nonlinear data).

I am trying to stimulate this analysis on a graphing calculator (i.e., TI-83 Plus and TI-84 Silver Edition) used in some statistics courses. However, I am confused about how to define the second and third orders before executing the command to find the regression line’s equation/correlation. For the second (quadratic) order curve fit choice, do I plot the original y-values versus the square of the x-values? Based on the same concept, do I plot the original y-values versus x-values cubed for the third (cubic) order curve fit choice?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep; a third-order regression line would be y = b0 + b1x + b2x2 + b3x3 + u.

4. Aug 31, 2005 #3
    Really? Um, could you explain that long part there for me, pretty please? I'm sure it's not that overwhelming once one understands a few principles, but I got lost in the variables . . . :blushing:

Thanks again!

5. Sep 1, 2005 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose you have a general 2nd-order polynomial:

y - y0 = a1(x - x0) + a2(x - x0)2

or

y = y0 + a1x - a1x0 + a2x2 + a2x02 - 2a2x02x

Re-write it as:

y = b0 + b1x + b2x2

where
    b0 = y0 - a1x0 + a2x02 = sum of the constant terms
    b1 = a1 - 2a2x02 = sum of the coefficients of x
    b2 = a2 = coefficient of x2

You can generalize this to an arbitrary order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?