Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Curve fitting

1. Jun 7, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone
    help please
    I need to fit experimental data with a theoretical model using the matlab software what is the best way to do it?
    thx for advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Why not try plotting the experimental data vs the theoretical data to see where they differ?

4. Jun 7, 2016 #3
    thank you
    but i don't have the the theoretical data .i just have the model ,I'm looking for the fit parameters

5. Jun 7, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Can't you run the model with input parameters matching the ones recorded when you did the experiment and then plot the relevant model output?

6. Jun 7, 2016 #5
    yes i did it using the least squares curve fit ,but the fit parameters are not constant they are function of the input.

7. Sep 7, 2016 #6
    @ sounouhid : One cannot answer to your question without a clear description of your problem. What kind of "theoretical model" are you talking about ? What kind of data ? And more details on the context of the problem are essential. The fitting methods are numerous and depends on the context. A whole book should not large enough to answer if the problem is not restricted. For example, some procedures of fitting to several models are available in : https://fr.scribd.com/doc/14674814/Regressions-et-equations-integrales .(paper in French with some parts in English. All procedures are understandable in English)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted