1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curve intersection in 3d

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that x=sin(t),y=cos⁡(t),z=sin^2 (t) is the curve of intersection of the surfaces z=x^2 and x^2+y^2=1.

2. Relevant equations

I don't think there aren't really any equations relevant for this maybe except the unit circle..?

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to equate both equation, I remember one problem very vaguely where we replaced the x^2 variable with s but I doubt this is what I have to do. Any insights on how to start this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x^2+y^2=1 tells you that you are on the unit circle for x and y. You can certainly parameterize that as x=sin(t), y=cos(t). Why? Then you just have to figure out what z is in terms of t. I really don't think there is much substance to this problem. Why are you confused?

4. Oct 8, 2013 #3
    first of all wouldn't it be x=cos(t) and y= sin(t) I mean isn't that what it is on a unit circle? and whoops I just understood what you meant by z, after I figured out x, just plug it in so z=sin^2(t)

5. Oct 8, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x=sin(t) and y=cos(t) is just as good a parmetrization of the unit circle as x=cos(t) and y=sin(t). Tell me why?

6. Oct 8, 2013 #5
    I thought so because x=1 at t=0 well I thought so but you're right it doesn't change anything when I think about it. So i just put it in this form of parametric equation to just satisfy my first equation?

7. Oct 9, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's the way to show this parametrization works. x=cos(t), y=sin⁡(t), z=cos(t)^2 is also a good (but different) parametrization of the same intersection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted