Curve of a Circle: Find the Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the curve with a curvature of 2, passing through a given point and having a given tangent vector. One approach is to use the Fundamental theorem of plane curves and the equation for a circle, while another involves using parametric equations and initial conditions. The use of the Cesaro Equation is also mentioned.
Lee7

Homework Statement

Find the curve whose curvature is 2, passes through the point (1,0) and whose tangent vector at (1,0) is [1/2 , (√3)/2 ].

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I must use the Fundamental theorem of plane curves but I don't know how to apply it correctly here. Another way to do it is the following but I don't know how to finish it:

Let us call our curve f(t). The curvature for f(t) is given by k=|f''(t)|=2. Since our curvature is a constant 2, we can think of this curve f(t) as a circle with radius r = 1/2. The equation for a circle is:

(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2, since the circle passes through (1,0) I can plug it in for (x,y) I get
(1-a)^2 + (0-b)^2 = (1/2)^2
(1-a)^2 + (b)^2 = 1/4

So we are given the points on the circle but we don't know what the center is. We are given the tangent vector.

So at (1,0) the tangent line is (1/2, (√3)/2). I can get the slope of this tangent line by rise over run (simple enough). Thus slope equals m = √3.

But how can I continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let us represent your circle in parametric equations, shall we?
We have:
[tex]x(t)=x_{c}+frac{1}{2}\cos(t), y(t)=y_{c}+\frac{1}{2}\sin(t)[/tex]
Thus, we have, at t*:
[tex]1=x_{c}+frac{1}{2}\cos(t*) (1), 0=y_{c}+\frac{1}{2}\sin(t*) (2)[/tex]
Furthermore, at t*, we have that rise over run satisfies, for example:
[tex]\cot(t*)=\sqrt{3} (3)[/tex]
(1), (2) and (3) gives you three equations for your three unknowns.

Finding the unknowns is what I am having the most trouble in. Can you elaborate more please?

Well, solve (3) first, for what cos(t*) and sin(t*) must be.
Then insert those relations into (1) and (2), and solve for the coordinates of the center.

Lee7 said:

Homework Statement

Find the curve whose curvature is 2, passes through the point (1,0) and whose tangent vector at (1,0) is [1/2 , (√3)/2 ].

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I must use the Fundamental theorem of plane curves but I don't know how to apply it correctly here. Another way to do it is the following but I don't know how to finish it:

Let us call our curve f(t). The curvature for f(t) is given by k=|f''(t)|=2. Since our curvature is a constant 2, we can think of this curve f(t) as a circle with radius r = 1/2.

Correct.

So we are given the points on the circle but we don't know what the center is. We are given the tangent vector.

The tangent is perpendicular to the radius of the circle through (1,0), so the centre of the circle must lie on the line through (1,0) perpendicular to the tangent. That, together with the knowledge that the radius of the circle is 1/2, gives you two possible locations for the centre of the circle.

But I think you are intended to start from
[tex]
\frac{d\psi}{ds} = 2
[/tex]
and use the fact that
[tex]
x'(s) = \cos\psi(s) \\
y'(s) = \sin \psi(s)
[/tex]
and you can solve for [itex]x(s)[/itex] and [itex]y(s)[/itex] by imposing the initial conditions
[tex]
x(0) = 1, \quad y(0) = 0, \quad x'(0) = \frac12, \quad y'(0) = \frac{\sqrt{3}}2
[/tex]

Pasmith - You got d/ds =2 from the radius correct?

arildno - cos is just ((√3)/2). and sin is 1/2

That's right!
Meaning, when you insert those in (1) and (2)?

Lee7 said:
Pasmith - You got d/ds =2 from the radius correct?

No, from the Cesaro Equation.

1. What is the equation for a circle's curve?

The general equation for a circle's curve is x^2 + y^2 = r^2, where r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do you find the equation of a circle's curve?

To find the equation of a circle's curve, you need to know the coordinates of the center point and the length of the radius. Then, you can use the general equation x^2 + y^2 = r^2 and substitute in the values to get the specific equation for the circle.

3. Can you find the equation of a circle's curve if you only know three points on the circle?

Yes, you can find the equation of a circle's curve if you know the coordinates of three points on the circle. You can use the three points to set up a system of equations and solve for the center point and radius, which can then be used in the general equation x^2 + y^2 = r^2 to get the specific equation for the circle.

4. How do you graph the curve of a circle with the equation?

To graph the curve of a circle with the equation, you can first plot the center point on the coordinate plane. Then, use the radius to plot points around the center point, making sure they are equidistant from the center. Finally, connect the points to create the curve of the circle.

5. Can the equation for a circle's curve be written in a different form?

Yes, the equation for a circle's curve can also be written in standard form as (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the center point. This form is helpful for identifying the center and radius of a circle by just looking at the equation.