Image Set of fx = (2x^2 + 2x + 1)/(x^2 + x - 1)

• Thread starter takercena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Set
In summary, to find the image set of a function fx = (2x^2 + 2x + 1)/(x^2 + x - 1), one can first take the limit of the function as x approaches infinity to determine the horizontal asymptote. Then, to find the vertical asymptotes, one can use the quadratic equation to solve for the roots of the denominator and take the limit of the function as x approaches these values. It is also important to consider the limits of the function as x approaches the roots from both the positive and negative side to determine the behavior of the function at these points. The answer to the original question is y => 2 and y =< 2/5, and the graph of
takercena

Homework Statement

Find the image set of function
fx = (2x^2 + 2x + 1)/(x^2 + x - 1 )

The attempt at a solution

1. multiply the denominator with y and then assume x is real i get
(y-2)^2 - 4(y - 2)(-y-1) => 0
5y^2 - 8y - 4 => 0
y = 2 and y = -2/5

But the answer is y => 2 and y =< 2/5 not -2/5
Then i substitute the -2/5 to the original equation and i got complex solution.
So is it mean that -2/5 is out. And 2nd, why the answer is 2/5?

I sketched using tools on http://graph.seriesmathstudy.com/ and -2/5 is valid asymptote.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the verticle or horizontal asymptote?

horizontal

1.First take the limit of the function as x approaches infinity

2.You divide each term by the highest degree of x (in both the numerator and the denominator)

remeber: the [tex]lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^p}{x^n} = 0[/tex] where n>p

You basically just need to worry about the highest degree of x in both the numerator and the denominator since the smaller degrees' limit would be 0.

The limit will be 2. But that's not the only answer.

That was the horizontal asymptote, now you need to find the verticle asymptote. http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/1/vertical.4/index.html page does a good job of explaining on how to do it.

I am sorry, but can you help me how to find the vertical asymptote? I am total confuse now :(

You have to take the limit of f(x) as x approaches a, where a is the value where f(x) doesn't exist

eq7.gif
eq8.gif

but I can't get x^2 + x - 1 to equal 0. Did you copy it right?

yes that is the question but might be placed in wrong section. First, you try to solve the real linear factor for denominator which is not the exist here. 2nd I don't think vertical asymptote exist as first if you factorize it, it will always not equal to 0 both denominator and numerator.

A vertical asymptote does exist, and only the denominator's limit has to be 0, the numerator's limit can't be 0. To determine the roots of the denominator, (can't believe I didn't realize this sooner) you need to use the quadratic equation. You won't get integers, but you'll get real numbers.

Thanks, but after I get the x value, what should i do next? Can you tell me what is the value for horizontal asymptote?

The roots of x^2 + x - 1 are the verticle asymptotes. Now you'll need to determine whether it approaches infinity or negative infinity at that value. Let A be a root of x^2 + x -1. Take the limit of (x -> [tex]A^+[/tex]) f(x) and the limit of (x -> [tex]A^-[/tex]) f(x). You'll need to know this when you're sketching the function.

1. What is the general form of the given equation?

The given equation is in the form of a rational function, where the numerator and denominator are both polynomials.

2. How do you simplify the given equation?

To simplify the given equation, we can factor both the numerator and denominator and cancel out any common factors. In this case, we can factor out a 2 from the numerator and (x+1) from the denominator, leaving us with fx = (2x + 1)/(x-1).

3. What are the x and y-intercepts of the graph of the given equation?

To find the x-intercept, we set the numerator equal to zero and solve for x. In this case, x = -1/2. To find the y-intercept, we set x = 0 and solve for y. In this case, y = 1. Therefore, the x-intercept is (-1/2, 0) and the y-intercept is (0, 1).

4. What is the end behavior of the graph of the given equation?

The end behavior of the graph is determined by the leading terms of the numerator and denominator. In this case, as x approaches positive or negative infinity, the graph will approach the line y = 2, which is the ratio of the leading coefficients.

5. How many vertical asymptotes does the graph of the given equation have?

The graph of a rational function can have at most n-1 vertical asymptotes, where n is the degree of the denominator. In this case, the degree of the denominator is 2, so the graph can have at most 1 vertical asymptote. To find the exact location of the asymptote, we set the denominator equal to zero and solve for x. In this case, x = 1 is the vertical asymptote.