Curve Tracer (NPN): Help Needed for Final Exam!

• Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve Npn
In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion regarding the base current in a PNP transistor and how it is represented on an attached image. The speaker is seeking clarification before their final exam, but notes that it may be too late. They believe that the marking on the image may be incorrect.
sandy.bridge
Hello,
Hoping this can be cleared up quickly as I have my final exam in 1 hour. My question is for the attached image. I know for pnp transistors that ic=0, and Vce=0 at top right hand corner. However, one thing I don't understand is why the base current starts at 20uA at the bottom, rather than at the top. Help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• iv characteristic.JPG
    iv characteristic.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 454
Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably too late for your exam, but it looks wrong to me. 20uA should be the top (smallest Ic) trace, and Ib should step to larger values at the larger Ic values.

That's what I thought. Looks like whoever marked it was not paying attention.

1. What is a Curve Tracer and how does it work?

A Curve Tracer is a specialized electronic instrument used to graphically display the relationship between two electrical variables, typically voltage and current. It works by applying a voltage to a device under test and measuring the resulting current, then plotting this data on a graph for analysis.

2. What is the purpose of using a Curve Tracer?

The main purpose of using a Curve Tracer is to characterize electronic components and circuits, specifically to determine their current-voltage characteristics. This can be helpful in troubleshooting, testing, and selecting appropriate components for a specific circuit design.

3. How do I interpret the results from a Curve Tracer?

The results from a Curve Tracer are typically displayed on a graph with voltage on the x-axis and current on the y-axis. The shape of the curve can indicate the type of component being tested, such as a diode or transistor. The slope of the curve can also provide information about the component's resistance or conductance.

4. Can a Curve Tracer be used for both NPN and PNP transistors?

Yes, most Curve Tracers have the capability to test both NPN and PNP transistors. However, it is important to make sure the correct terminals are connected to the test leads to get accurate results.

5. Are there any safety precautions when using a Curve Tracer?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using a Curve Tracer. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and making sure the instrument is properly grounded. It is also important to use the correct voltage and current settings to avoid damaging the device under test.