Implementing Curved Fresnel Zone Plates: Analysis and Efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a Fresnel zone plate on a curved surface, its diffractive efficiency and focal length. The main application being discussed is using Fresnel zone plates on contact lenses for an alternative method of focusing light. The tear film lens effect and its correction are also mentioned. The conversation also clarifies that the front of a Fresnel lens is smooth and not ridged like a Fresnel structure.
HEM87
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has any analysis or sources to help me understand how a Fresnel zone plate can be implemented on a curved surface, and the corresponding diffractive efficiency and focal length??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an odd question. Is there a specific application you have in mind?

What are the plates supposed to achieve? Focus light? From a plane wave? Simply take the points on your curved surface that have a distance d to the focal point f that has fulfills
[tex]d \in \left[ \frac{(4n-1)\pi}{2 \lambda } ,\frac{(4n+1)\pi }{2 \lambda } \right], n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]
This will produce your Fresnell pattern. All light going through these points can interfere constructively in f. The complement will produce the same effect due to Babinet's principle.

Hi,

I'm curious about using Fresbel zone plates implemented on contact lenses (RGP) for an alternative method of focusing.

So yes, I'm looking to focus light at a certain point from a plane wave, thanks deadbeef, that's useful!

HEM87 said:
Hi,

I'm curious about using Fresbel zone plates implemented on contact lenses (RGP) for an alternative method of focusing.

So yes, I'm looking to focus light at a certain point from a plane wave, thanks deadbeef, that's useful!

Wouldn't the liquid (tears) on the surface affect the optics?

sophiecentaur said:
Wouldn't the liquid (tears) on the surface affect the optics?

The tear film lens effect behind the lens is pretty well understood (generally giving a +0.25 D addition per 0.05 mm difference between corneal curvature and back RGP lens curvature) and can be corrected for generally by providing an intrinsic correction in the lens.

That makes sense.
So the front of the fresnel lens is, in fact, smooth?

sophiecentaur said:
That makes sense.
So the front of the fresnel lens is, in fact, smooth?

What do you mean by smooth? Planar?

I mean that freznel structures often have ridges in them (?). The tears would fill these up when you blink.

sophiecentaur said:
I mean that freznel structures often have ridges in them (?). The tears would fill these up when you blink.

Oh yeah, it would be smooth, just a series of opaque and transparent sections on a smooth surface.

sophiecentaur said:

That's a Fresnel lens. IT is similar but not the same as the zone plates. And a Fresnel lens would really hurt your eyes.

What is a Curved Fresnel Zone Plate?

A Curved Fresnel Zone Plate is an optical device that is used to focus light waves. It is made up of a series of concentric rings, with alternating opaque and transparent sections, that diffract light and create a focused spot.

How does a Curved Fresnel Zone Plate work?

A Curved Fresnel Zone Plate works by diffracting light waves through its concentric rings. The alternating opaque and transparent sections cause the light waves to interfere with each other, resulting in a focused spot of light at the center of the plate.

What are the advantages of using a Curved Fresnel Zone Plate?

There are several advantages to using a Curved Fresnel Zone Plate. It is lightweight and thin, making it easy to integrate into optical systems. It also has a large aperture, allowing for a high resolution and efficient focusing of light. Additionally, it can be manufactured at a lower cost compared to other types of lenses.

What applications are Curved Fresnel Zone Plates commonly used for?

Curved Fresnel Zone Plates have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and technology. They are commonly used in microscopy, lithography, and spectroscopy. They are also used in telecommunications, solar energy, and in the development of advanced optical systems.

What are the limitations of using a Curved Fresnel Zone Plate?

One of the main limitations of using a Curved Fresnel Zone Plate is its sensitivity to wavelength. It works best with monochromatic light, and any deviation from the ideal wavelength can result in a decrease in the quality of the focus. Additionally, it can suffer from chromatic aberration, where different wavelengths of light are focused at different distances from the plate.