How Do Concave Mirrors Form Real or Virtual Images?

In summary: If the magnification is positive, the image will be virtual, while if it is negative, the image will be real. The distance of the image from the mirror can also be calculated using the standard equation for a mirror, where d_{i} represents the horizontal displacement of the image from the centre of the mirror. This information can be used to determine the size and orientation of the image.
mmg0789
how can you tell when the image will become real or virtual in a concave mirror, the distance?..i'm not sure

thanks in advance

*edit*
oh i think i know..is it the magnification, if the magnification is more than 1 then that means its virtual since it would be upright and a bigger image

is that right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is correct;
mmg0789 said:
how can you tell when the image will become real or virtual in a concave mirror, the distance?

Using the standar equation for a mirror;

[tex]\frac{1}{d_{O}} + \frac{1}{d_{i}} = \frac{1}{f}[/tex]

When [itex]d_{i}[/itex] is positive, the image is real; if it is negative the image is virtual. [itex]d_{i}[/itex] is the horizontal displacement of the image from the centre of the mirror. [itex]d_{O}[/itex] is the horizontal displacement of the object from the centre of the mirror and [itex]f[/itex] is the focal length of the mirror (which is positive for a concave mirror).

It is possible it have a real image that is larger than the object. What is the definition of a real and virtual image?

More information is available here;
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/mirray.html#c3

Actually if the magnification is +ve , the image is virtual.
-ve->real
(As per new Cartesian sign convention)

arunbg said:
Actually if the magnification is +ve , the image is virtual.
-ve->real
(As per new Cartesian sign convention)

I agree, that's why I said above
Hootenanny said:
t is possible it have a real image that is larger than the object.

I did forget to mention however, that the image would be inverted.

~H

1. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror curves inward, like the inside of a bowl, while a convex mirror curves outward, like the outside of a ball.

2. How does a concave mirror form an image?

A concave mirror reflects light rays towards a single focal point, resulting in an inverted and magnified image for objects placed beyond the focal point.

3. Why is a concave mirror used in telescopes?

A concave mirror can gather and focus light from distant objects, making them appear brighter and larger. This makes it ideal for use in telescopes to observe distant objects in space.

4. What is the difference between a real and virtual image formed by a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, while a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to be coming from a point, but do not actually converge.

5. How are concave mirrors used in everyday life?

Concave mirrors are used in many everyday items such as car headlights, make-up mirrors, and shaving mirrors. They are also used in solar collectors to concentrate sunlight and in reflecting telescopes to gather and focus light from distant objects.