Exploring Curved Space and LP Spaces in L2: The Curvature of Black Holes

• Thread starter granpa
  • Start date
In summary: So a small enough piece of space near a black hole would still be in Lp space, but it would not be "flat". This is analogous to the fact that the surface of the Earth is not flat, but has curved features. This analogy breaks down at the event horizon, where the curvature becomes infinite and the analogy fails.
granpa
In L2 space c2 = a2 + b2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lp_space#Motivation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_inequality

If we draw a large triangle on a curved surface like the Earth then the Pythagorean theorem won't work. But if we shrink the triangle down the curvature becomes less and less until it approaches being completely flat and the Pythagorean theorem works again.

If we draw a large triangle in LP space where P<>2 then the Pythagorean theorem also won't work. The difference is that it still won't work even if one shrinks the triangle down to nothing.

My question is what happens in the curved space of a black hole? Is it like the curved surface of the Earth or like the intrinsic curvature (no, that probably isn't right. maybe 'intrinsic distortion from L2 space) of LP space? Does a small enough piece of space near a black hole behave like regular flat L2 space (yes i know, technically it would be minkowski space but i am only interested in the space component and nonrelativistic speeds)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no one knows the answer to that question, mathmatically then yes it should work
it depends if you are past the event horizon ( point of no return) yet
becouse at the center of a black hole, the singularity, then there is said to be infinate mass and therefore infinate curviture, so physically there you could not work like that :)

Thanks for the response.

Thats what I assumed but when I was reading the wiki article about LP space I suddenly realized that I didnt really know.

granpa said:
My question is what happens in the curved space of a black hole? Is it like the curved surface of the Earth or like the intrinsic curvature (no, that probably isn't right. maybe 'intrinsic distortion from L2 space) of LP space? Does a small enough piece of space near a black hole behave like regular flat L2 space (yes i know, technically it would be minkowski space but i am only interested in the space component and nonrelativistic speeds)

Anywhere in spacetime, whether near a black hole, inside or outside the event horizon, or anywhere else, behaves locally "like the curved surface of the Earth" and not "like Lp space". The equivalence principle means that if you zoom in close enough to any event, the surrounding spacetime looks almost like the flat spacetime of Minkowski space, which is analogous to (but not identical to) L2 space.

An Lp space, when p ≠ 2, has a notion only of "distance" and no notion of "angle" unlike spacetime. (Technically it is "normed vector space", but not an "inner product space".)

1. What is curved space and how is it related to black holes?

Curved space refers to the concept that the three-dimensional space we live in is not flat, but rather has a curvature to it. This curvature is caused by the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars. Black holes, being the most massive objects in the universe, have a significant effect on the curvature of space around them.

2. What is an LP space and how is it used in exploring curved space?

An LP space, specifically L2, refers to a type of mathematical function space that is used to analyze and describe the properties of curved space. In the study of black holes, L2 spaces are used to understand the curvature of space near the event horizon, the point of no return for anything that enters a black hole.

3. How does the curvature of black holes affect the behavior of light and matter?

The intense curvature of space near a black hole causes light and matter to behave in unusual ways. Light can be bent and distorted, creating the phenomenon of gravitational lensing. Matter can also be pulled towards the black hole, creating powerful tidal forces that can tear objects apart.

4. Can we directly observe the curvature of space around a black hole?

While we cannot directly observe the curvature of space, we can indirectly measure its effects on light and matter. By studying the behavior of light and matter near a black hole, we can infer the presence and strength of the curvature.

5. How does understanding curved space and LP spaces help us understand the nature of black holes?

Understanding the curvature of space is crucial in understanding the nature of black holes. By using mathematical models and LP spaces, we can make predictions about the behavior of black holes and test them against observations. This helps us gain a deeper understanding of these mysterious and powerful objects in our universe.