Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curved Space-Time question.

1. May 27, 2005 #1
    What equation do you use to find the curvature a body of mass creates? I know the answer for the suns mass is 1.75 arc-seconds. So if I took the g of the sun and divided it by the g of the earth and divided 1.75 arc-seconds by the ratio of the g difference would I get the earth's curvature. Which is about 0.0626 arc-seconds from what I'm doing.

If I knew the formula that is used to get the answer for the sun things would be so much easier. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're mixing them up.That 1.75 arcseconds is the angle of deflection of a ray of light in passing through Sun's Schwarzschild field.

You can compute for Earth,simply inserting the appropriate constants into the deflection formula.It's approximately 3300 times less.

Daniel.

4. May 28, 2005 #3
    Can you share the appropriate constants and the deflection formula? :)

5. May 28, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure.

[tex] \Delta\phi=4\frac{G m_{source}}{c^{2}R_{rource}} [/tex]

Source:M.Carmeli,"Group Theory and General Relativity",McGraw-Hill,1977,p.155.

Daniel.

6. May 30, 2005 #5
    Thank you. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?