1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curves and parallel lines

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1
    I'm kinda stuck on this question... my text gives me a simple example, but it's far from enlightening. Just wondered if I could get some help!

"At what point on the curve y = 1 + 2e^x - 3x is the tangent line parallel to the line 3x -y =5?"

Would I just need to simply compare the slopes?

I found the derivative of the curve: y'= 2e^x - 3

So I suppose you just set 2e^x = 3... then you get x = ln(3)/2 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2
    parallel means same slope, so u found [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 2e^x - 3 [/tex]
    [tex]y=-5+3x, \frac{dy}{dx} = 3[/tex]
    [tex]3 = 2e^x - 3[/tex]
    [tex]3 = e^x[/tex]
    [tex]ln(3) = x[/tex]
  4. Mar 8, 2005 #3
    Oh, so I had to compute the derivatives for both slopes, then compare them? Interesting... thanks! I have to digest this info now.
  5. Mar 8, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

zenity --

Your original approach was CORRECT. You just made the careless error shown above. Method is to determine slope of the line (compute dy/dx of the line OR determine by inspection (like you did) from the line's {y = mx + b} equation that the slope is "3") and then to equate this value to the curve's tangent slope (found by differentiating the curve's equation like you did).

6. Mar 8, 2005 #5
    so the point would be... ( ln(3), 7-3ln(3) ) ?

I'm just a bit confused graphically.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  7. Mar 8, 2005 #6

Science Advisor

Your answer is CORRECT. If helpful, sketch the graph to better understand the math. (Or use a graphing calculator.)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?