Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curves intersecting at the origin

1. Apr 6, 2005 #1
    i have to show how many times the curves intersect at the origin

y^4 = x^ 3 and x^2y^3 - y^2+ 2x^7= 0

i dont really know how to start solving this :uhh:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2005 #2
    i think the answer is 6
    could anyone tell me if it's right?
  4. Apr 7, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks right. You found 22 solutions (over the complex numbers) with x and y non-zero? No solutions for the points at infinity in projective space?
  5. Apr 7, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I plotted them in surf. at the origin one is a U but turned on it's side with the "opening" to the right. the other is a cusp, or locally < shaped and the point of the < meets the rounded bottom of the U, I don't know how many "crossings" you'd wish to count that as.
  6. Apr 9, 2005 #5
    shmoe.. i didnt actually find the solutions.
    i let t^3=y from the frist equation
    and then expressed everything in terms of t in the second equation, and then by
    a theorem ( which i dont know the name of).. the lowest power of the non-zero
    terms is the number of time the curves intersect at 0.
  7. Apr 9, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm, I'm not sure of the theorem you're using, could you give it's statement or a reference to where it can be found? I'd like to have a look. My idea was to use Bezout's theorem to count the total number of intersections (28). You can replace the 2x^7 with 2x^4y^4, making the second equation a quadratic in the variable x^2. You can then find all non-zero solutions in complex projective space (22 in total) and show the curves intersect only once at each of these, so the origin would have 6 intersections. I admit to being pretty ignorant on most things algebraic though, so I could be way off.
  8. Apr 10, 2005 #7
    ok this is how the theorem goes:

let y = p(x) and g(x,y) = 0 be 2 curves. Assume y = p(x) contains 0= (0,0) and that (y-p(x)) does not divide g(x). Then the intersection multiplicity at 0( i assume I_0 .. I sub zero...means that) of y- p(x) and g(x,y) is the smallest degree of any non zero term of g(x,p(x)) .

i'm not sure where this came from, I missed the day when it was thought in class so I got the notes from somebody and I found it there. I dont think its in the book that we use right now for the course cause I was looking for it.
  9. May 1, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How about writing them in polar coordinates?
    y^4 = x^ 3 becomes r4sin4&theta;= r3cps&theta; or r sin4&theta;= cos3&theta;. Taking r= 0 we have cos&theta;= 0, [itex]\theta= \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\fra{3\pi}{2}[/itex].
    The graph crosses through the origin twice.

x^2y^3 - y^2+ 2x^7= 0 becomes r5cos2&theta;sin3&theta;- r2sin3&theta;+ r7cos7&theta;= 0 or r3(cos2&theta;+ r2cos7&theta;)- sin3&theta;= 0. Taking r= 0, sin3&theta;= 0 so
    sin&theta;= 0. [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] or [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex] or [itex]\theta= 2\pi[/itex]. The graph crosses the origin 3 times (notice that 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex] are different!).
  10. May 2, 2005 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that works, the number of "crossings" is not the same as the intersection multiplicity. y^4=x^3 has a zero of multiplicity 3 at the origin, the other graph a zero of order 2 (the multiplicity of the zero is the lowest power term).

Sorry I forgot about this post. This makes sense, I've seen this before in the restricted case of p(x) being linear.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?