1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curves under conformal trans.

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1
    Hi. This problem is about General Relativity. I am not actually taking a course, but studying myself. I tried to solve Hobson 2.7:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conformal transformation is not a change of coordinates but an actual change in
    the geometry of a manifold such that the metric tensor transforms as [itex]\bar{g}_{ab}(x)=\Omega^2(x) g_{ab}(x) [/itex], where [itex]\Omega (x) [/itex] is some non-vanishing scalar function of position. In a pseudo-Riemannian manifold, show that if [itex]x^a(\lambda) [/itex] is a null curve with respect to [itex]g_{ab} [/itex] (i.e. [itex]ds^2=0 [/itex] along the curve), then it is also a null curve with respect to [itex]\bar{g}_{ab} [/itex]. Is this true for timelike curves?

2. Relevant equations

for null curves:
    [tex]
    ds^2=g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} (d\lambda)^2=0
    \\
    \therefore g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda}=0
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    after the conformal transformation, we have
    [tex]
    ds^2=\Omega^2 g_{\mu \nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu
    =g_{\mu \nu}(\Omega dx^\mu) (\Omega dx^\nu)
    [/tex]
    and along the path [itex] x^\mu(\lambda) [/itex]:

[tex]
    ds^2=g_{\mu \nu} \left[\frac{d}{d\lambda}(\Omega dx^\mu) \frac{d}{d\lambda}(\Omega dx^\nu) \right] (d\lambda)^2

\\=g_{\mu \nu}\left(\frac{d\Omega}{d\lambda}dx^\mu +\Omega \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \right)
    \left(\frac{d\Omega}{d\lambda}dx^\nu +\Omega \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} \right) (d\lambda)^2

\\=g_{\mu \nu} \left\{ \left(\frac{d\Omega}{d\lambda}\right)^2 dx^\mu dx^\nu
    +\Omega \frac{d\Omega}{d\lambda} \left(dx^\mu \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} + \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} dx^\nu \right) +\Omega^2 \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} \right\} (d\lambda)^2

\\= g_{\mu \nu} \left\{ \left(\frac{d\Omega}{d\lambda}\right)^2 \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} (d\lambda)^4
    + 2\Omega \frac{d\Omega}{d\lambda} \left(\frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} \right) (d\lambda)^3
    + \Omega^2 \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} (d\lambda)^2 \right\}

\\= \left( g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} \right)
    \left( \left(\frac{d\Omega}{d\lambda}\right)^2(d\lambda)^2+ 2\Omega \frac{d\Omega}{d\lambda}d\lambda +\Omega^2 \right)(d\lambda)^2 = 0
    [/tex]

now in the last line, the first term vanishes because of the null curve for the original [itex]g_{\mu \nu} [/itex], so the whole [itex]ds^2 [/itex] after the transformation vanishes, which means it is a null curve.

Is this solution correct?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, spookyfish.

It seems to me to be more straightforward. Before the transformation you have a curve for which any infinitesimal displacement ##dx^\mu## along the curve satisfies
    [tex]
    ds^2= g_{\mu \nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu
    = 0
    [/tex]
    After the transformation you have a new metric ##\overline{g}_{\mu \nu} = \Omega^2 g_{\mu \nu}##. But the spacetime coordinates of points in the manifold have not changed their values.

So, what is the value of ##d\overline{s}^2= \overline{g}_{\mu \nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu## for the same ##dx^\mu##?

4. Mar 2, 2014 #3
    The value would be
    [tex]
    d\bar{s}^2 =\Omega^2 g_{\mu \nu} dx^\mu dx^\nu
    [/tex]
    but we need to check [itex] d\bar{s}^2 [/itex] of a curve. Can I say that
    [tex]
    d\bar{s}^2 =\Omega^2 g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} (d\lambda)^2=0
    [/tex]
    because [itex] g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} (d\lambda)^2=ds^2=0 [/itex]?
    Also, using this would not imply that timelike curves and spacelike curves remain the same, because [itex] \Omega^2 [/itex] doesn't change the sign of [itex]ds^2 [/itex]?

5. Mar 2, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that all sounds correct.

I don't see the need to explicitly introduce the curve parameter ##\lambda##, because ##d\bar{s}^2 =\Omega^2 g_{\mu \nu} dx^\mu dx^\nu## and ##d\bar{s}^2 =\Omega^2 g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\lambda} (d\lambda)^2## have the same value. But, you can if you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted