Understanding Curvilinear Integrals: A Scientist's Dilemma

In summary, the conversation discusses a doubt with a specific exercise that asks for a curvilinear integral over the arc of a parabola connecting two points. The speaker provides a parametrization and an integral, but is unsure if they should use the absolute value of the derivative or not. They also mention a similar exercise involving calculating the circulation of a velocity field over a specific path. They are unsure if the path refers to a single path or three different paths, and also mention another exercise with a closed path. They thank the other speaker for their help.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi. I have a doubt with this exercise. I'm not sure about what it asks me to do, when it asks me for the curvilinear integral. The exercise says:

Calculate the next curvilinear integral:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{C}^{}(x^2-2xy)dx+(y^2-2xy)dy[/tex], C the arc of parabola [tex]y=x^2[/tex] which connect the point [tex](-2,4)[/tex] y [tex](1,1)[/tex]
I've made a parametrization for C, that's easy: [tex]\begin{Bmatrix} x=t \\y=t^2\end{matrix}[/tex] [tex]\begin{Bmatrix} x'(t)=1 \\y'(t)=2t\end{matrix}[/tex]

And then I've made this integral:
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{-2}^{1}t^2-2t^3+(t^4-2t^3)2t dt[/tex]
But now I'm not too sure about this. What I did was:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{a}^{b}F(\sigma(t))\sigma'(t)dt[/tex]

But now I don't know if I should use the module, I did this: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{a}^{b}F(\sigma(t))\sigma'(t)dt[/tex] and I don't know when I should use this: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{a}^{b}F(\sigma(t)) \cdot ||\sigma'(t)||dt[/tex]

I mean, both are curvilinear integrals, right?

I think that I understand what both cases means, but I don't know which one I should use when it asks me for the "curvilinear integral". The first case represents the area between the curve and the trajectory, and the second case represents the projection of a vector field over the trajectoriy, i.e. the work in a physical sense, but I know it have other interpretations and uses.

Well, that's all. Bye there, thanks for posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

Hi. I have a doubt with this exercise. I'm not sure about what it asks me to do, when it asks me for the curvilinear integral. The exercise says:

Calculate the next curvilinear integral:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{C}^{}(x^2-2xy)dx+(y^2-2xy)dy[/tex], C the arc of parabola [tex]y=x^2[/tex] which connect the point [tex](-2,4)[/tex] y [tex](1,1)[/tex]
I've made a parametrization for C, that's easy: [tex]\begin{Bmatrix} x=t \\y=t^2\end{matrix}[/tex] [tex]\begin{Bmatrix} x'(t)=1 \\y'(t)=2t\end{matrix}[/tex]

And then I've made this integral:
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{-2}^{1}t^2-2t^3+(t^4-2t^3)2t dt[/tex]
But now I'm not too sure about this. What I did was:

Try not to use tex tags in-line. It messes up the format. For starters, looks like you have a y-prime in that integral. Also, why not just call it a line integral:

[tex]
\displaystyle\int_{C}^{}(x^2-2xy)dx+(y^2-2xy)dy
[/tex]

then making the paramaterizations you suggested, obtain:

[tex]
\displaystyle\int_{-2}^{1}t^2-2t^3+(t^4-2t^3)2t dt
[/tex]

That looks like it to me.

Thanks. Sorry for the bad use of tex, didn't know about it. So the last case must only be used when the problem specifically asks me for the area between the curve and the xy plane?

That makes no sense. The curve you give is in the xy-plane. In your first post you asked for an area "between the curve and the trajectory" but I have no idea what "trajectory" you are talking about.

You're right, it was a misinterpretation from my part. I thought at first that the exercise was asking for that, but now I know that the area down a trajectory is obtained using the integral of arc length, and what it asked is what I actually did, but it isn't what I thought I was doing.

I think its clear now. But I have this other exercise, which asks me to calculate the circulation of a velocity field on V over the indicated path, this is it, maybe I should make another thread, but will see, its pretty much like the same kind of exercise.

[tex]\vec{V}=xy^2 \hat{i}+xe^{xy} \hat{j},y=x^2,x=0,y=1[/tex]

I think I know what I have to do, which is the same than I did before with the exercise I've posted at first. But the thing is I don't know if I must use the path [tex]y=x^2[/tex] from (0,0) to (1,1), or if it reefers to three different paths with [tex]y=x^2,x=0,y=1[/tex] In that case I wouldn't know which extremes to use in the line integral. And the exercise that follows its similar, it gives a path, but it don't tells from where to where, but I think that in that case could be because the path is closed.

Bye and thanks!

What is a curvilinear integral?

A curvilinear integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus. It is a type of line integral that involves integrating a function along a curve or path in a two or three-dimensional space.

How is a curvilinear integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is a one-dimensional concept, where the function is integrated over a one-dimensional interval. A curvilinear integral, on the other hand, is a two-dimensional concept, where the function is integrated along a curved path in a two-dimensional space.

What are the applications of curvilinear integrals?

Curvilinear integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to calculate work, flux, and potential energy along curved paths. They are also used in vector calculus to solve problems related to fluid flow, electromagnetism, and motion in three-dimensional space.

What are the types of curvilinear integrals?

There are two main types of curvilinear integrals - line integrals and surface integrals. Line integrals involve integrating a function along a curve, while surface integrals involve integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface. Line integrals can be further divided into two types - path integrals and contour integrals.

How do you solve a curvilinear integral?

To solve a curvilinear integral, you first need to parameterize the curve or surface over which the function is being integrated. This means expressing the coordinates of the curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. Then, you use the appropriate formula for the type of curvilinear integral to calculate the integral.