Curving space - it is the Higgs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of how matter curves space and the role of the Higgs in explaining this phenomenon. The conversation also touches on Einstein's principle and the comparison between matter and a group of physicists. However, the exact relationship between matter and gravitation is still unknown.
Triton
Hi, I'm new, and not sure I'm writing this in the right place or way ...

how does matter curve space? is it the mass made by the Higgs that makes cpace bend?

I red that einstein said space was a fabric - is that right? seems to me it can't be, cos fabric is like what clothes are made of, and you can cut clothes, but space isn't cuttabel, is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the first question is a good question. From Einstein's principle, we just know how and why gravitation curves space : because a grvitational field is equivalent to a frame accelerating (the acceleration can depend on space and time).

However, I don't know why matter causes gravitation...What I know is that the Higgs should explain the mass and somehow the gravitation by the following comparison :

suppose matter is like an assembly of physicist.

The Higgs could be compared to a special particle that indicates somehow how famous the physicists are.

Enters a very poor unknown physicist : nobody moves and the matter feels no attraction

Enters a very famous one in the assembly : everyone wants to meet him and approach him.

The facts are that : fame is somehow equivalent to mass and attract other particles. But this implies that other physicist know in some way, or attributed this fame to every other one.

Well...this is just a funny message I saw in some article a year ago maybe.

Hello and welcome! You're definitely in the right place to ask questions about science and physics. To answer your question, matter curves space due to its mass and energy. This is explained by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that mass and energy can warp the fabric of space and time. So, it's not necessarily the Higgs particle itself that causes space to bend, but rather the mass that it gives to particles.

As for the comparison to fabric, it's just a metaphor used to explain the concept of space curvature. In reality, space is not a physical fabric like clothes, but rather a mathematical concept. It's not something that can be cut or manipulated physically, but rather it is the very structure of the universe.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Keep asking questions and learning about the fascinating world of physics!

1. What is curving space?

Curving space refers to the concept in physics where the presence of mass and energy can bend the fabric of spacetime, creating a curvature that affects the motion of objects within it.

2. How does curving space relate to the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a theoretical field that is thought to permeate the entire universe and interact with particles to give them mass. According to the theory of general relativity, the presence of mass and energy in space creates a curvature, and the Higgs field is thought to play a role in this process.

3. What is the connection between curving space and the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a particle that is thought to be responsible for giving other particles mass through interactions with the Higgs field. In the theory of general relativity, the presence of mass creates a curvature in spacetime, and the Higgs boson is believed to play a role in this process.

4. Why is the discovery of the Higgs boson important for understanding curving space?

The discovery of the Higgs boson would provide evidence for the existence of the Higgs field, which is thought to play a crucial role in the process of curving space. This would help us better understand the relationship between mass, energy, and spacetime curvature.

5. Can curving space be observed or measured?

Yes, curving space can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations in the field of astrophysics and cosmology. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, is a direct observation of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass.