Will a Carbon Fiber Car Frame Affect the Handling of My Electric Mini Cooper?

In summary, the person is considering converting their mini cooper to an electric car and wants to reduce its weight. They suggest using a carbon fiber frame and ask for expert advice on whether the car would still handle properly.
marissam06
hi,
I've been toying with the idea of converting my mini cooper to an electric car, and I'm brainstorming ways to reduce the weight as much as possible. I came up with the idea of a carbon fiber frame to replace the heavy steel one, I found a company that can do it for me, but I was wondering if my car would handle the way it was meant to with the much much lighter frame? I have no physics knowledge beyond a high school level, so I thought I'd ask the experts...any help would be greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds expensive...

What is a custom carbon fiber car frame?

A custom carbon fiber car frame is a type of vehicle frame made from carbon fiber material that is specifically designed and manufactured to fit the specifications of a particular car model. It is often used in high-performance sports cars and race cars due to its lightweight and strong properties.

What are the benefits of using a custom carbon fiber car frame?

There are several benefits to using a custom carbon fiber car frame, including its lightweight nature, which can improve the speed and performance of the vehicle. It is also stronger and more durable than traditional metal frames, making it less susceptible to damage and wear. Additionally, carbon fiber has a higher strength-to-weight ratio, making it an ideal material for high-performance vehicles.

How is a custom carbon fiber car frame made?

A custom carbon fiber car frame is made by layering carbon fiber sheets over a mold and then binding them together using resin and heat. This process is known as "layup" and can be done by hand or using advanced machinery. The frame is then cured and finished with a clear coat for added protection and aesthetic appeal.

Is a custom carbon fiber car frame expensive?

Yes, a custom carbon fiber car frame can be more expensive than traditional metal frames. The cost is due to the labor-intensive manufacturing process and the high-quality materials used. However, the long-term benefits and improved performance of the vehicle may outweigh the initial cost for some car owners.

Can a custom carbon fiber car frame be repaired?

Yes, a custom carbon fiber car frame can be repaired, but it requires specialized skills and equipment. Minor damages can be fixed by sanding down the damaged area and applying a new layer of carbon fiber and resin. However, more extensive damages may require the entire frame to be replaced, which can be costly.