Why Can't I Set My Custom User Title on the PF Forum?

• Bug
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user who is having trouble setting their custom user title on the forum. They had a previous title of "Optimistic" but it disappeared after renewing their subscription and upgrading to a 5-year plan. The user has tried resetting it and logging out and back in, but it still won't work. Other users' custom titles have also disappeared and it is suggested that the forum administrator may have changed the settings so that custom titles are only visible in profiles.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can't set my custom user title!

It used to be "Optimistic." But about a week ago my one-year subscription expired, so I renewed it, and upgraded to a 5-year (oh yeah :smile: !). But now my "Optimistic" is gone...I've tried resetting it under "My PF," but it doesn't work. I've tried logging out and back in...still won't work.

Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see your title in your profile page as "optomist".

But "Optimistic" used to show under my user name on my posts. Not just mine, but everyone's is gone - turbo's "bull-goose loony" and Andre's "bear of very little brain," for example.

Could just be that Greg has made a minor chage to the forum. Before the software upgrade custom user titles only appeared in profiles as far as I can recall. He may have altered the settings so they're hidden again.

What is a custom user title?

A custom user title is a feature on some websites that allows users to choose their own title or label that appears next to their username or profile. It is often used to express a personal message or to showcase a user's interests or personality.

How do I change my custom user title?

The process for changing a custom user title varies depending on the website or platform. In most cases, you can access the option to change your title through your account or profile settings. Some websites may also have specific requirements or restrictions for custom user titles, so be sure to check the website's guidelines before making any changes.

Can I have a custom user title on all websites?

No, not all websites have the option for custom user titles. It is ultimately up to the website owner or administrator to enable this feature for users. Some websites may have a default title for all users, while others may not have any title options at all.

Is there a character limit for custom user titles?

Yes, some websites may have a character limit for custom user titles. This is typically to prevent excessively long titles from disrupting the website's layout or causing other issues. Again, it's important to check the website's guidelines for any restrictions or guidelines regarding custom user titles.

What should I consider when choosing a custom user title?

When choosing a custom user title, it's important to keep in mind the website's guidelines and the purpose of the title. It should be appropriate and respectful to other users, and should not contain any offensive or inappropriate content. Additionally, consider using a title that accurately reflects your interests or personality, as it can be a great way to connect with others on the website.