Where Did the Cut and Paste Functions Go?

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the location of the Control-X, V functions and whether or not they have been removed or disabled. It is clarified that the functions are still there and have not changed. The red icons at the top of the edit window indicate preview mode and must be disabled for the paste function to work. It is mentioned to be cautious when toggling the "[ ]" symbol as it may reset the cursor.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Where have the Control-X, V functions gone? Or, have I lost my mind...wasn't paying attention to administrative notes?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are still there. Nothing has changed. Perhaps if you got into the preview mode, they appear disabled. Look for red icons at the top of the edit window to indicate preview mode.

Likes pinball1970 and Bystander
anorlunda said:
Nothing has changed.
Okay, got rid of the red warnings; now what's "it" want? Thank you, by the way for the initial coaching.

Bystander said:
Okay, got rid of the red warnings; now what's "it" want? Thank you, by the way for the initial coaching.
When clicking the "[ ]" symbol causes the red icons to turn dark grey, that means they are enabled, including the paste function. I always have to do that when pasting in figures/pictures. Does ctrl-v work for you now to paste in? (BTW, be a little careful because toggling the "[ ]" thing causes the cursor to reset to the top left of the Edit window, so you need to relocate it before trying the ctrl-v paste)

Likes Bystander
Thanks. I'll try it next time the "need" overtakes me.

1. Where did the cut and paste functions go?

The cut and paste functions are typically located in the "Edit" menu of most software programs. However, the exact location may vary depending on the specific program you are using.

2. Why can't I find the cut and paste functions?

If you are unable to locate the cut and paste functions, it is possible that they have been moved or removed from the program. You may need to consult the program's user manual or online help resources for more information.

3. How do I use the cut and paste functions?

To use the cut and paste functions, first select the text or object you want to cut or copy. Then, use the keyboard shortcuts or click on the appropriate icons in the toolbar to cut or copy the selected content. Finally, navigate to the desired location and use the keyboard shortcuts or click on the paste icon to insert the content.

4. Can I customize the cut and paste functions?

Some programs may allow you to customize the keyboard shortcuts or add the cut and paste icons to the toolbar for easier access. Check the program's settings or preferences to see if this is an option.

5. Are the cut and paste functions available on all devices?

The cut and paste functions are available on most devices, including computers, tablets, and smartphones. However, the specific steps for using them may vary depending on the device and the program you are using.