Find Member Forces of AB and DE: Cut Section Method

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the member forces for AB and DE in a truss structure. The person asking the question mentions making a cut and considering the upper and lower sections, but getting different answers. Another person corrects them and suggests solving for the reaction forces first when dealing with any structure.
fonseh

Homework Statement

I am asked to find the member force of AB and DE

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I make an imaginary cut of the question and consider the upper part of the cut . Bur , i didnt get the same ans provided . However , when i consider the lower section of the cut , i get the same ans with the book . Anything wrong with my working ?
Taking moment about A = 20(4) +30cos45 (3) + DE(4) = 0 , DE = -35.9 upwards

btw , the vertical reaction at a is 51.3 kN upwards , at E , vertical reaction = 35.9 kN upwards , and 21.2kN to the left ...

Attachments

• 604.PNG
    604.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 605.PNG
    605.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your vertical reaction at A again.
Edit: You said that you looked at the section below the cut, but actually, you looked at the entire truss and solved for the reaction force at E, not the force in member DE. When you look at the section below the cut, the applied forces do not show up, because they are applied above the cut. It is best to find member force DE by looking at the section above the cut, and find member force AB by looking at the section below the cut, after first correcting the reaction force at A.

Last edited:
Likes fonseh and CivilSigma
I agree with Jay,

and when ever dealing with any structure (Determinant or not), it's better to solve for the reaction forces first.

What is the "Cut Section Method" for finding member forces?

The Cut Section Method is a technique used in structural analysis to determine the internal forces (such as tension, compression, and shear) acting on specific members of a structure. It involves cutting a section through the structure and analyzing the forces acting on that section.

How do you apply the Cut Section Method to find member forces in a structure?

To apply the Cut Section Method, you first need to choose a section to cut through the structure. Next, you will need to draw a free body diagram of the cut section, including all external forces acting on the section. Then, you can apply equations of equilibrium to solve for the internal forces acting on the members within the cut section.

What information do I need to use the Cut Section Method?

In order to use the Cut Section Method, you will need to have a thorough understanding of structural analysis principles, as well as the external forces acting on the structure. You will also need to know the properties of the structural members, such as their material, cross-sectional area, and length.

Can the Cut Section Method be used on any type of structure?

Yes, the Cut Section Method can be used on any type of structure, including trusses, beams, and frames. However, the method may become more complex for more intricate structures, and it is important to ensure that all external forces are accurately accounted for in the analysis.

Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using the Cut Section Method?

While the Cut Section Method is a useful tool for determining member forces, it does make some assumptions, such as assuming that the structure is in static equilibrium and that the members are subjected to only axial forces. It is also important to consider the effects of shear and bending on the members, which may require additional analysis techniques.