What Would Happen if You Cut the Earth in Half?

• Thread starter Schoomy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Earth
In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothetical scenario of cutting the Earth in half and the potential effects on its magnetic field. The participants compare it to cutting a magnet in half and the possibility of the two halves repelling each other. They also mention the role of the Earth's inner core in its magnetic field and the potential consequences of physically splitting the planet.
Schoomy
So I had a random thought come to mind today (I've been studying magnetics in general physics lately)...

If you cut the Earth in half, evenly, from pole to pole and allowed the two hemispheres to rotate freely about the plane of the cut, but not to deviate away from each other, what would happen?

In my head I pictured them being two separate magnets, thereby repelling each other, but since they're not allowed (per my assumptions) to move away from each other, the best they could do is rotate 180 degrees about their cut plane such that half the north pole and half the south pole are touching on either "pole" that would exist after.

Thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Schoomy said:
So I had a random thought come to mind today (I've been studying magnetics in general physics lately)...

If you cut the Earth in half, evenly, from pole to pole and allowed the two hemispheres to rotate freely about the plane of the cut, but not to deviate away from each other, what would happen?

In my head I pictured them being two separate magnets, thereby repelling each other, but since they're not allowed (per my assumptions) to move away from each other, the best they could do is rotate 180 degrees about their cut plane such that half the north pole and half the south pole are touching on either "pole" that would exist after.

Thoughts?

A small permanent magnet sits on the table, with N to the left and S to the right.
Cut a magnet in half, you have two smaller magnets, each of which has N on the left and S on the right (that means S and N are adjacent). They are attracted to each other and will stick back together unless you can manage to pry them apart.
Same thing with Earth.

DaveC426913 said:
A small permanent magnet sits on the table, with N to the left and S to the right.
Cut a magnet in half, you have two smaller magnets, each of which has N on the left and S on the right (that means S and N are adjacent). They are attracted to each other and will stick back together unless you can manage to pry them apart.
Same thing with Earth.

Wouldn't that be what happens if you cut the Earth in half across the equator? I'm speaking in terms of cutting it "vertically" taking that to mean the axis is vertical. So cut from north pole to south.

Would you not then have a north pole next to a north pole? Thus repelling...

You would have to force one of the halves to rotate. It wouldn't do it by itself. The reason is that the pole would actually expand across the cut. You would still have one single magnet.

Hi

i like so much physics it is my favorite subject...:!):!)

-----------------------------------

http://fastmoneytree.com/index.php?referral=84

:zzz::zzz:

You'd only be able to cut down to the mantle, since the inner core is liquid, and I thought it was the inner core that caused the magnetic field- so a physical cut in any direction would not have any effect and be completely undermined by mutual gravitational attraction, since a planet split into two separated hemispheres has a significantly higher gravitational potential energy than a complete sphere.

it would be ugly. the molten guts would spew out with untold, and likely bad effects on life on the surface.

1. What would happen to the Earth's rotation if it were cut in half?

If the Earth were cut in half, it would most likely stop rotating. This is because the rotation of the Earth is caused by the motion of its molten iron core. If the Earth was cut in half, this core would be disrupted, and the rotation would cease.

2. Would the Earth's magnetic field be affected if it were cut in half?

Yes, the Earth's magnetic field would be greatly affected if it were cut in half. The magnetic field is created by the Earth's molten core, so if the core was disrupted by being cut in half, the magnetic field would weaken or even disappear entirely.

3. What would happen to the Earth's atmosphere if it were cut in half?

If the Earth were cut in half, the atmosphere would be greatly affected. The Earth's atmosphere is held in place by the Earth's gravity, so if the Earth was cut in half, the gravitational pull would be disrupted, and the atmosphere would escape into space.

4. What would happen to life on Earth if it were cut in half?

If the Earth were cut in half, it is likely that all life on the planet would cease to exist. The disruption of the Earth's core, rotation, and atmosphere would make the planet uninhabitable for any form of life.

5. Is it possible for the Earth to be cut in half?

No, it is not possible for the Earth to be cut in half. The Earth's solid crust is only a very thin layer compared to the size of the planet. It is held together by the Earth's gravity and the strong forces in the Earth's interior. The amount of energy required to cut the Earth in half would be immense and far beyond the capabilities of any known technology.