Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cute, Fluffy Murderers

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/30/us/cats-predation-impact/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

They must be stopped!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2
    There's a simple cure for these cursed cats (or "Lunch" as they're known in some circles). Meet Fluffy ... o:)

http://cdn.themonolith.com/wp-content/uploads/Leviathan-Attack-Dog.jpeg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 31, 2013 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

Their cuteness give them the right to do whatever they want...

5. Jan 31, 2013 #4
    I like looking at funny cat pictures on the internet as much as the next guy, but I absolutely despise feral (or "outside") cats. I've always lived on the coast, and the cats here aren't afraid of people. They are well known to attack fishermen in the area and even small children, spread disease, make an annoying racket all night with their whining when one of them is in heat. They are more like beach-rats to me. I think "outside" cats should really be considered "stray/ferral" cats that "I feed".

Someone think of the birds!

6. Jan 31, 2013 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

There's a fantastic (if graphic and NSFW) cartoon that's applicable. As there are already mods present, should I post a link, do it in spoilers, post "search for these terms", or just keep it to myself?

7. Jan 31, 2013 #6
    Fluffy says "Their tastiness gives cats the right to be eaten... Yum, Yum!"

8. Jan 31, 2013 #7
    one base I was stationed at had some rather large guard dogs that were very good at their jobs. Every few months the local feral cats would get to be such a nuisance that the dogs were let out on a Cat Cull.

Rifles or catapults will do the job!

9. Jan 31, 2013 #8
    According to this site,( 2006 )
    http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-most-pet-cat-population.html
    there are 76,430,000 domestic cats in the USA.

So it seems unlikely that each and every cat has a bird or rodent for lunch each day.
    The "cats kill between 1.4 billion and 3.7 billion birds and up to 20 billion small rodents each year" seems a tad bit on the high end of an exaggeration.
    What do they base their estimate on? Potential killing capacity of a cat?

10. Jan 31, 2013 #9

Evo

We have laws here, it is illegal to allow your cat outdoors unless it's on a leash. It is very rare to see a loose cat now and usually the next day you see a missing cat poster on the grocery store bulletin board.

11. Jan 31, 2013 #10

russ_watters

That's a stat for pet cats, not all domestic cats. The article I linked says most birds and rodents are killed by feral cats, not pet cats. This article says there are 70 million feral cats, so that would be 146 million total cats in the US:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0907_040907_feralcats.html

And just to be clear:
    An "outside" cat is a pet cat that partly lives outside, not a feral (wild) cat. I think the article confuses this by calling them both "domestic", which is just the breed but some people take to mean "pet".

For example, my parents have two pet cats that live about half inside and half outside. They eat two meals a day in the house and about one dessert a week outside.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. Jan 31, 2013 #11
    They should never kill wild/feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. Its natural ecosystem. Let nature decide its course. In the meantime if some species gets extincted, it should be called 'survival of the fittest'. Humans have no business trying to preserve animals that they do not harm actively.

However, all domestic/stray cats should be killed off, if they harm other creatures. I don't see the point of having cats as pets.

Speaking of which, does anybody know any good recipe with cats?

13. Jan 31, 2013 #12
    Regarding "Let nature decide its course..."
    I don't think that when people bring "pets" from other parts of the world and then release them (accidentally or not-so-accidentally) into the local habitat and let them decimate the local wildlife, that it is "just letting nature take its course."
    But to lighten things up, I don't mind when the local cats keep the gopher population in check, but I do mind the little "presents" they leave in the garden soil.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. Jan 31, 2013 #13
    I have yet to hear we have a problem with a lack of "small rodents". This is just part of the food chain. They seem to reproduce quite well, as my friend who got a pair of guinea pigs last year can tell you. I am thinking of the Star Trek show Trouble with Tribbles...

15. Jan 31, 2013 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two sides of the same coin there.

16. Jan 31, 2013 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? Do you know the reason that they passed that law, because they're cute fluffy murders or something else? Just curious :smile:

17. Jan 31, 2013 #16

russ_watters

They don't have such laws in my area, but my townhouse owner's association does have a leash rule due to reasons of population density and cleanliness of shared space.

I once almost accidentally killed my neighbors cat when it snuck into my garaged and got locked-in for 30 hours

18. Jan 31, 2013 #17
    lol I hear ya, I read the article out load at the office and laughed at the estimate between 1.4 & 3.7 billion. I've never even seen a variance of that amount on estimates.

I suspect dogs came up with most of the figures & calculations in the study.

19. Jan 31, 2013 #18
    My friend's cat, according to him, "wrestles water moccasins for fun." I'm guessing this one contributes about half of those birds and rodents, meaning every other cat only has to eat a bird or rodent every other day to make up for the deficit.

20. Jan 31, 2013 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My sister works in a zoo and once brought home one of the feeder mice for her cat. She lived in an apartment on the second floor, so the cat couldn't go outside and practice its instincts. So, she thought, by bringing the mouse the cat could rediscover its roots. She covered the floor in the hallway with newspapers, brought her cat there and released the mouse. Nothing happened, the cat was uninterested and didn't fancy to play or have a meal. Some cats are just cute and fluffy.

21. Jan 31, 2013 #20
    How many dogs?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook