Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cute, hot, pretty, beautiful

1. Jan 23, 2006 #1

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This subject came up in HRW's thread about dating, but I didn't want to drag it off-topic. The question is, what do you mean when you use the words in the subject heading, specifically when in reference to someone of sexual potential? This topic seems to have come up in conversation with virtually every one of my past girlfriends, so I want to know what everyone here thinks. Here's what I mean when I use the words on a member of the opposite sex:

Cute - Attractive like a kitten or puppy. Someone I would feel bad never calling back and would be more prone to want to date long-term.

Hot - Makes me think of (and want) sex. Someone I would enjoy dating, but who would have to go a out of their way to convince me they were long-term material.

Pretty - Not a person-specific adjective, but one that's saved for events in which the person in question looks more attractive than usual. A more extreme version of the same thing is "gorgeous". Very appropriate for dates.

Beautiful - To me, beauty is something much deeper than any of these other terms. I think of beauty in the "American Beauty" sense; it involves a sort of elegant complexity...something I would write a song about.

Feel free to write about other common words -- handsome, attractive...scrumptious. Don't hesitate to give examples, but be nice. :tongue2:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2
    I use every one of those words interchangably. they all mean "this is a word to say to make someone feel good about themselves." I'm really not hung up on looks and I'm a lot less shallow than most people think. Everything I say or do is designed for one purpose. To make someone else feel good, whether it is through laughter or building self esteem or by sticking up for someone. I'm always suprised when I get in trouble for things I say because there's never any malice when I write them, but I frequently get taken wrong. I'm not complaining, I don't expect most mortals to be able to grasp my superior thoughts and motives. <---example

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3
    Cute - I want to have sex with you, in a soft cuddly kind of way.

Hot - I want to have sex with you, in a rough kind of way.

Pretty - I want to have sex with you, next to the fire.

Beautiful - I want to have sex with you, on a bed of flowers

Spacetiger, did I tell you that you are a HOT physicist!?

5. Jan 23, 2006 #4
    pretty beautiful- I want to have sex with you on a burning bed of roses

6. Jan 23, 2006 #5
    Tribdog, you know my legs are always open for you.

7. Jan 23, 2006 #6

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In other words, you don't mean them? I don't like saying things just to make people feel good, it makes me feel dishonest.

These words aren't just about looks. Being "hot" or "cute" is also about personality, behavior, etc. For example, I hope Hurkyl won't mind me quoting something he said in reference to HRW:

A professor of mine once compared humor to violence. I don't know if there's a philosophical origin for the analogy, but it's something worth considering.

8. Jan 23, 2006 #7

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as I get laid, you can call me whatever you want. :wink:

9. Jan 23, 2006 #8
    If it would be dishonest to tell someone they look beautiful I don't say anything, unless it would get a laugh. and if you call me violent again I'll kick your butt.

10. Jan 23, 2006 #9

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a kick? Shucks.

11. Jan 23, 2006 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cute - innocent
    Hot- sexy
    Pretty - good looking
    Beautiful/ handsome - more attractive than good looking

12. Jan 23, 2006 #11
    Well, in this instant, I kind of pile all the adjectives that arouse me sexually under "attractive". That includes "hot", "pretty", "cute", etc. All of those can mean I'm attracted, but doesn't necessarily, all depending on my own mood. For example, I was on party last friday and they played good music, so I was mostly attracted to the girls who knew how to shake it. On a quite home party at 6am, I could be more attracted to a sweet girl, whom to hugg in the corner of the sofa. Sexual attractiveness can be anything from animalistic desire to a need for little closeness and a hugg, or from estetic pleasure to a feeling of a deepper connection. As long as there is passion of some kind.

With beuty and a "fine person", on the other hand, I mean those more complex things, alá american beuty. This is the sum of her morals, social skills, descissions in difficult situations, emphaty and overal character. I mean things that you can't see on a picture, but that tends to reflect on her essence in a real life situation. And for some reason, a girl displaying potential of being a "fine person" increases her sexuall attractiveness, which kinda brings me to my only question...
    Why would a person who at first sight appears hot and sexually attractive have any less character? If you think of the classical god and bad girls, then surely the bad girl is unreliable and maybe partly because of it extremely hot. But couldn't it just be a cute girl letting loose? For me, those who can host a wild side without loosing perspective are the true candidates.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  13. Jan 23, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, most of those terms would be a negative if I was using them to describe the sexual potential of someone. :biggrin: I do sometimes use them to refer to some men, but I sure wouldn't to their faces.

Cute is okay. Much of the time, if I refer to a guy as cute, it means they have more of a "boyish" charm. Sweet, nice to look at, maybe some potential if they can show me they have a mature aspect to their personality too, but mostly, someone who's probably too young for me. The kind of guy that I think, "If I was 10 or 15 years younger, I'd have been all over him." Cute can be a personality characteristic as well...and if I see someone doing things that are cute, then it's often referring to something stupid they've done, but hasn't come across as pathetic. I have no idea how to explain this concept well. I think it's reserved for a guy I'm already interested in, and his flaws are not looking like flaws anymore, but just part of his charm. Sort of, "It was so cute the way you were swearing under your breath the whole time you were trying to fix that computer."

Hot...hmmm...a purely physical attraction. Someone who I enjoy just watching from a distance, can even fantasize about being swept away to a hotel room with him, but don't give any consideration to him as relationship material.

Pretty and beautiful are negatives for men. Fine features, effeminate traits, whether he's gay or not, that's what's registering in my mind.

When I'm REALLY into a guy, I don't say much at all. I don't have a single word that would suffice as a description.

14. Jan 23, 2006 #13
    i know it's just a typo, but if you think of girls as gods you'll get along much better.

15. Jan 23, 2006 #14
    just like I always do I'm going to steer things into a discussion of me. I want to know if you see me as cute, hot, pretty, or beautiful or pick the adjective of your choice.

16. Jan 23, 2006 #15
    Aha! Thanks for that clarification, now I know what they've all been telling.
    :smile:

17. Jan 23, 2006 #16
    And if I think of them as the devil I survive much longer? :biggrin:

18. Jan 23, 2006 #17

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good question. In my experience, girls/women that go out of their way to make guys think of sex (especially if it's on a regular basis) are doing more than just looking for a boyfriend. I find that they're usually looking for attention; in particular, a kind of attention that is much easier to get from guys than other girls. This can be a result of an artistic flair in association with sex, a histrionic personality, or even nymphomania, but it usually isn't a good quality for a relationship.

That said, there are girls/women that I find "hot" who obviously aren't trying very hard. In those cases, I would be less wary about a relationship with them. Either way, though, if they're really long-term material, they'll prove it to me eventually.

19. Jan 23, 2006 #18
    At first glance, you look innocent, until you open your mouth. Then you come across as witty, which increases the hottness level for me with many degrees. After a good pile of posts your sweetness and hard working nature shines through thou.

I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of assumen you where asking both sexes. :)

20. Jan 23, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I should probably clarify that when I WAS 15 years younger (erm...maybe 20 years younger), cute was the highest compliment I could give a guy. Actually, it was, "He's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!" It meant I very much wanted him to ask me out, but got too tongue-tied around him to even let him know I was interested. Now I'm just too old for guys my age to be cute. I still associate cuteness with the younger guys, so it's no longer something I associate with any sort of sexual attraction, just something I notice in the doting auntie sort of way...the kind of guy I like to see find a nice, sweet, young lady.

21. Jan 23, 2006 #20
    As a woman, I get called by all of these names but I have noticed that all men usualy mean simular things when they call me by some.
    Before they have sex with me, they usualy deskribe me as cute, after sex or during-hot, all men in general(including my male friends) find me pretty and only if they get to love me-they say that I'm beautiful.

I agree that beauty does emply something much, much deeper than just looks and I have my expirience to proove it, but these words also give me a very good picture of what to expecte from a guy!:rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?