M: Calculating Cutting Forces for an ROV Manipulator Arm

In summary: The conversation is about designing an ROV manipulator arm that needs to cut mild steel cable and rod at a depth of 600m. The person is struggling with calculations for determining the cutting forces and hydraulic requirements. They are advised to use Distortion Energy Theory for finding the answer.
needhelp321
I am currently designing an ROV manipulator arm, it has to cut mild steel cable 20mm thick and mild steel rod 12mm thick. Also it has to operate at depth of 600m.

I am struggling with some calcualtions, I have chosen a cable and bar cutter, this forces a shaped cutter against the object and slices it in two.

These are widely used however I cannot find any calcs to find cutting forces required and therefore what the hydraulic requirements are.

Can anyone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
needhelp321 said:
I am currently designing an ROV manipulator arm, it has to cut mild steel cable 20mm thick and mild steel rod 12mm thick. Also it has to operate at depth of 600m.

I am struggling with some calcualtions, I have chosen a cable and bar cutter, this forces a shaped cutter against the object and slices it in two.

These are widely used however I cannot find any calcs to find cutting forces required and therefore what the hydraulic requirements are.

Can anyone help?

Your cutting tool cuts by creating a shearing force strong enough to cause the material to yield to the point of rupture. It's common to use Distortion Energy Theory to perform the calc. Research that and you should find your answer.

CS

1. What are cutting forces for an ROV?

Cutting forces refer to the physical forces and pressures required to cut through various materials using a remotely operated vehicle (ROV). These forces can include tension, compression, torsion, and shear.

2. What types of materials can an ROV cut through?

An ROV can typically cut through materials such as ropes, nets, cables, steel pipes, and some types of metal alloys. The specific cutting capabilities will depend on the design and strength of the ROV's cutting tools.

3. How are cutting forces generated by an ROV?

The cutting forces for an ROV are generated by the hydraulic system, which provides the necessary power and pressure to the cutting tools. The ROV operator controls the cutting forces by adjusting the flow and pressure of the hydraulic fluid.

4. Are there any safety considerations when using an ROV's cutting tools?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when using an ROV's cutting tools. These include ensuring proper training for the operator, using appropriate personal protective equipment, and following all safety protocols and procedures. It is also important to monitor the cutting forces and make adjustments as needed to avoid damage to the ROV or surrounding structures.

5. Can cutting forces be measured and monitored during an ROV operation?

Yes, cutting forces can be measured and monitored during an ROV operation using specialized sensors and instrumentation. This allows for real-time feedback on the cutting forces and can help the operator make adjustments for optimal cutting performance and safety.