Why do movie studios cut films short?

In summary, movies are often shortened for financial reasons, but deleted scenes do sometimes make their way into the final product.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
"cutting" movies short

One of the things I enjoy after seeing a god awful movie is looking up the reviews for the movies. I notice in a lot of the movies, that a typical excuse for a bad movie is that the film was cut short by the company producing the film. Now, does this mean the film was finished and they actually cut scenes out? Or that they cut pieces out that weren't filmed yet in order to save money? Now, the obvious answer is the latter but the thing is, the scenes that are cut out actually show up in the dvd releases as deleted scenes! This makes me wonder... if they do actually cut movies shorter after they're done (which when I look it up, seems to always be down to 90 minutes)... WHY?

DISCUSS!

Physics news on Phys.org

Pengwuino said:
One of the things I enjoy after seeing a god awful movie is looking up the reviews for the movies. I notice in a lot of the movies, that a typical excuse for a bad movie is that the film was cut short by the company producing the film. Now, does this mean the film was finished and they actually cut scenes out? Or that they cut pieces out that weren't filmed yet in order to save money? Now, the obvious answer is the latter but the thing is, the scenes that are cut out actually show up in the dvd releases as deleted scenes! This makes me wonder... if they do actually cut movies shorter after they're done (which when I look it up, seems to always be down to 90 minutes)... WHY?

DISCUSS!

.. and in some cases, the movie's ending got completely changed by some studio execs. This is what happened to "Brazil" and director Terry Gilliam. The "Love Conquers All" ending was first shown in US movie theaters, while the rest of the world got the original version. It was only later when the Director's Cut of the movie came out on DVD (or was it on laserdiscs first?) that US audiences got to see the actual ending.

The original ending envisioned by Gilliam was more "difficult" to take, and certainly didn't provide the "closure" that's so popular in movies, but it made the movie an uncompromising classic.

Zz.

There is always a commercial pressure to make the movie shorter. Cinemas want to show more runs in a day, shorter film = more profits.
The director wants to make the movie as long as possible to show the full breath of their genius.
Sometimes the studio sees the movie, they (or the test audience) hates it - so they cut it down to the good bits and hope for best.

Occasionally there is a good compromise!

Ah that makes sense! So a short movie = already determined to be terrible by the execs and screening viewers so no go :D. Gotcha.

I am not interested in movies that ask audience to...guess.
I don't want to be a psychic and I will NOT be one!

It was studio interference that ruined the first Star Trek movie. Not that it was a masterpiece anyway, being essentially a conglomeration of a couple of the series' plots. If you've ever read the original as written by Roddenberry, though, at least a lot more of it makes sense. Paramount cut about 20 minutes of plot points out in order to sub in more special effects.
I'll give just 2 examples. The first is that everyone wondered why Kirk seemed to be in such a squirrelly mood during the earlier parts of the show. The critical scenes that were excised showed that the female admiral who got scrambled in the transporter accident was his wife.
Secondly, it made absolutely no sense when Ilia first entered the bridge and announced that her oath of celibacy was on record. There was a segment prior to that, deleted by the studio, that explained it. Deltan women produce such potent pheromones that men have trouble functioning in their presence, so they have to promise celibacy to prevent male crewmembers from continually coming on to them.
There were other instances as well. Really, it wasn't that great a movie anyhow, but it at least had consistency and logic as originally written.

Just nobody get started on Blade Runner, that's all ...

1. Why do movies get cut short?

Movies can get cut short for a variety of reasons. The most common reasons include budget constraints, creative differences among the filmmakers, and time constraints.

2. How do filmmakers decide what to cut from a movie?

Filmmakers often have to make tough decisions about what to cut from a movie. They may consider factors such as the overall flow and pacing of the film, the importance of certain scenes to the plot, and the audience's reaction to test screenings.

3. Can cutting a movie short affect the story?

Yes, cutting a movie short can definitely affect the story. Often, scenes that are cut may provide important character development or information that can impact the overall plot. This is why filmmakers have to carefully consider what to cut in order to maintain the integrity of the story.

4. Are there any benefits to cutting a movie short?

There can be benefits to cutting a movie short. For example, it can help to improve the pacing of the film and make it more engaging for the audience. It can also help to eliminate any unnecessary or distracting scenes, making the story more focused.

5. Is there a maximum length for movies?

No, there is no set maximum length for movies. However, most theaters have time constraints for showing films, so it is common for movies to be around 2-3 hours long. Some films, such as epic sagas or historical dramas, may be longer in length, but ultimately it is up to the filmmaker's vision and the audience's attention span.