Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cutting
In summary, the group of software geeks got a rectangular white cake for someone's birthday and joked about the number of cuts needed to make equal pieces. The speaker suggested cutting the cake into a prime number of pieces, resulting in a discussion about the number of cuts needed for different scenarios. The conversation ended with someone suggesting not to bother cutting a chocolate cake and the speaker mentioning that the question has a finite number of answers.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I work with a bunch of software geeks. It was someone's brithday last week and we got him a cake, one of those white rectangular ones.

Someone joked about about many pieces he needed to cut it into, someone else made a joke about matricies.

I said he had to cut it into a prime number of pieces, all the same size and shape. How many cuts did he have to make?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I said he had to cut it into a prime number of pieces, all the same size and shape. How many cuts did he have to make?

I vote for 1 cut!

DaveE

No cuts (zero) and one piece!
2 cuts and 3 pieces!

LAF said:
No cuts (zero) and one piece!
1 is not a prime number.
LAF said:
2 cuts and 3 pieces!
How will you cut a rectangular cake into 3 same-size same-shape pieces?

Out of a possible 1 points, your score is now -1. :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
How will you cut a rectangular cake into 3 same-size same-shape pieces?

Say the cake is 3 ft x 1 ft. Make two cuts, perpendicular to the long axis of the cake, at the 1 ft and 2 ft marks as measured from either end of the long axis. You have 3 1 ft x 1 ft pieces of cake.

loseyourname said:
Say the cake is 3 ft x 1 ft. Make two cuts, perpendicular to the long axis of the cake, at the 1 ft and 2 ft marks as measured from either end of the long axis. You have 3 1 ft x 1 ft pieces of cake.

Good one.

What's the answer if it's chocolate cake?

If it is a chocolate cake I will not bother to cut in such a fashion. Just have whole of it. This question has infinite answers.

ashishsinghal said:
If it is a chocolate cake I will not bother to cut in such a fashion. Just have whole of it. This question has infinite answers.

Not really. The question asks how many he had to cut. The implication is that the answer assumes no more cuts than necessary to meet the conditions.

Also, some answers are going to be trvially similar.They can be generalized using algebra to result in a small and very finite number of answers.

For a white, rectangular cake:
a single cut which passes through the center of the cake will cut it into 2 pieces. Since 2 is a prime, this should suffice. The interesting thing is that it doesn't matter what angle the cut makes with the cake, the two pieces will be the same size and shape.
Chocolate cakes work the same.

If the number of guests is the prime number p, you are forced to make p - 1 cuts that are parallel to each other.
The only exception is p = 2, where any cut through the center is ok.
[EDIT]
Note that the same holds for a circular cake where you would cut from the center outwards.
In this case the cuts do not need to be straight as long as rotational symmetry is observed.
In the rectangular case, all cuts need to be straight, because we need to observe translational symmetry and the sides of the cake are straight.
The exception is for p = 2, where any cut through the center works as long as it is point-symmetric.
[/EDIT]
-- I like ILSe

Last edited:

What is the purpose of "Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake"?

The purpose of "Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake" is to bring together software professionals to celebrate their achievements and successes. It is an opportunity for members of the tech community to network, socialize, and have fun together.

Who can attend "Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake"?

"Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake" is open to all software professionals, including developers, designers, engineers, project managers, and anyone else working in the tech industry. Students and enthusiasts are also welcome to attend.

What kind of activities can attendees expect at "Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake"?

Attendees can expect a variety of activities at "Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake". This may include a keynote speaker, networking sessions, games, and of course, cutting and enjoying cake! The specific activities may vary depending on the event and organizers.

Do I need to have any specific technical knowledge to attend "Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake"?

No, "Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake" is open to all software professionals regardless of their technical knowledge or expertise. The event is meant to celebrate the entire tech community and bring people together, regardless of their specific roles or backgrounds.

How can I get involved in "Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake"?

If you are interested in getting involved with "Celebrating with Software Geeks: Cutting the Cake", you can reach out to the event organizers or check for any volunteer opportunities. You can also attend the event and participate in the activities and networking opportunities. Help spread the word and invite your fellow software geeks to join in on the celebration!