Cutting the cord

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
DaveC426913
Gold Member
The resultant forces aren't zero. At the bottom apex, the jumper experiences maximum upwards acceleration. The velocity is zero at the apex though.
Yes. I'm ignoring the complexities that acceleration throws in. The simple point is that a jump partially cancels the impact velocity.

If that is directed toward me ... no I did not get caught in a GR times dilation .... I was on my computer at work and did not have my spectacles with me ... so did not notice the date.
Yes, but how did you manage to stumble across it in the first place? You must have had a LOT of free time at work to go through hundreds of posts to get to that one.

rcgldr
Homework Helper
What would happen to a bungee jumper if right at the apex of his jump (when the resultant forces are zero)
The resultant forces aren't zero. At the bottom apex, the jumper experiences maximum upwards acceleration. The velocity is zero at the apex though.
Yes. I'm ignoring the complexities that acceleration throws in.
Acceleration doesn't matter, since it's assumed to be gone (zero) the instant the cord is cut from the jumper (assuming it's cut near the jumper so momentum of the cord isn't a factor).

The simple point is that a jump partially cancels the impact velocity.
I wasn't addressing the jumping from a piano tangent of this thread, just the OP statement about forces canceling.