Understanding the Cutoff Wavelength in Modern Physics Assignments

• Thread starter phy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
The cutoff wavelength is the maximum wavelength the incident photon may have as to still produce photoelectric effect.In summary, The cutoff wavelength is a concept in modern physics related to the photoelectric effect or X bremsstrahlung. It is the maximum wavelength an incident photon can have to produce the photoelectric effect. It can be calculated using the stopping potential for the photoelectric effect and the work function.
phy
I'm doing my modern physics assignment and the question asks me to calculate a few different thigns - one of them being the cuttoff wavelength. My question is WHAT IS IT? I looked in my textbook and didn't really see anything about it so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be either one of these 2 things:either connected with the photoelectric effect,or with X bremsstrahlung.
Tell us in what context does it appear...

Daniel.

Yah perhaps I should have posted the question too :wink:

Light of wavelength 500nm is incident on a metallic surface. If the stopping potential for the photoelectric effect is 0.45 V, find a) the maximum energy of the emitted electrons, b) the work function, c) the cutoff wavelength.

Okay,then.You should have known this issue from the textbook.It's the maximum wavelength the incident photon may have as to still produce photoelectric effect...

Daniel.

1. What is the cutoff wavelength in modern physics assignments?

The cutoff wavelength in modern physics assignments refers to the minimum wavelength of electromagnetic radiation that can be detected or emitted by a given system. It is determined by the properties and structure of the system, such as its size and energy levels.

2. Why is the cutoff wavelength important in modern physics?

The cutoff wavelength is important in modern physics because it helps us understand the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and how it interacts with matter. It also allows us to determine the limitations of a system and its capabilities in terms of detecting or emitting radiation.

3. How is the cutoff wavelength calculated?

The cutoff wavelength can be calculated using the formula λc = 2πr, where λc is the cutoff wavelength and r is the radius of the system. In some cases, it may also be determined experimentally by observing the behavior of the system with different wavelengths of radiation.

4. Can the cutoff wavelength be changed?

Yes, the cutoff wavelength can be changed by altering the properties or structure of the system. For example, in a semiconductor device, the cutoff wavelength can be lowered by increasing the doping concentration, thus allowing for the detection of shorter wavelengths of radiation.

5. How does the cutoff wavelength relate to other concepts in modern physics?

The cutoff wavelength is closely related to other concepts in modern physics, such as the energy levels of a system and the Planck constant. It also plays a role in various applications, such as in the design of optical devices and the study of quantum mechanics.