1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cuttoff wavelength

1. Feb 12, 2005 #1

phy

I'm doing my modern physics assignment and the question asks me to calculate a few different thigns - one of them being the cuttoff wavelength. My question is WHAT IS IT? I looked in my textbook and didn't really see anything about it so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can be either one of these 2 things:either connected with the photoelectric effect,or with X bremsstrahlung.
    Tell us in what context does it appear...

Daniel.

4. Feb 12, 2005 #3

phy

Yah perhaps I should have posted the question too :wink:

Light of wavelength 500nm is incident on a metallic surface. If the stopping potential for the photoelectric effect is 0.45 V, find a) the maximum energy of the emitted electrons, b) the work function, c) the cutoff wavelength.

5. Feb 12, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,then.You should have known this issue from the textbook.It's the maximum wavelength the incident photon may have as to still produce photoelectric effect...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?