CW Complex: top dimension cells

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem statement of showing that each n-cell in an n-dimensional CW complex on a space X is open. The definition of a CW complex was also given, along with the conditions for a subset to be closed. The solution involved using the relative homeomorphism property to show that each n-cell is open in X.
arithmuggle
1. The problem statement
Given an n-dimensional CW complex on a space X, show that each n-cell is open in X.

Definition of CW Complex
1. The cells form a disjoint union of X
2. For each k-cell e, there is a relative homeomorphism :
[tex]\phi: (D^k, S^{k-1}) \rightarrow (e \cup X^{k-1}, X^{k-1})[/tex]

3. For each k-cell e, [tex] \phi(S^{k-1}) \subset \bigcup\limits_{i=1}^n e_i[/tex] where each e_i has dimension less than k.

4. A subset [tex]A \subset X [/tex] is closed if and only if [tex]A \cap \overline{e} [/tex] is closed in [tex] \overline{e}[/tex] for every e.

Solution work
I feel that I can show that the n-1 skeleton is closed and so showing that the n-cells are components would give it.

Otherwise I was just trying to play with the weak topology condition to see if I can show it directly.

Either way I'm having trouble.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 2. Solution Let X be an n-dimensional CW complex. We will show that each n-cell is open in X. By definition of a CW complex, for each n-cell e, there is a relative homeomorphism: \phi: (D^n, S^{n-1}) \rightarrow (e \cup X^{n-1}, X^{n-1}) Note that the domain of the homeomorphism is open in the Euclidean space, so the image of this map must also be open in X. Since the image of the homeomorphism is the n-cell e, it follows that e must be open in X. This completes the proof.

1. What is a CW complex?

A CW complex is a type of topological space that is constructed by gluing together cells of different dimensions. It is a useful tool in topology for studying the properties of spaces.

2. What are the top dimension cells in a CW complex?

The top dimension cells in a CW complex are the highest dimensional cells, often referred to as the "n-cells." These are the cells that are used to construct the space by gluing them together.

3. How are top dimension cells added to a CW complex?

Top dimension cells are added to a CW complex by attaching them to the lower dimensional cells. This is done by choosing a map that describes the attaching process, which can be defined by a set of attaching maps for each lower dimensional cell.

4. What is the significance of top dimension cells in a CW complex?

The top dimension cells in a CW complex play a crucial role in determining the topology of the space. They help define the shape and structure of the space and can provide information about its connectivity and other topological properties.

5. Can top dimension cells be removed from a CW complex?

Yes, top dimension cells can be removed from a CW complex as long as the resulting space still satisfies the axioms of a CW complex. This process is often used in algebraic topology to simplify the structure of a space for easier analysis.