Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cybernetic enhancements: Will you want them?

1. Yes, definitely. I have no objections to them.

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes, but I will not want some.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Undecided. Wait and see.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. No, I won't want any.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Don't know.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Nov 23, 2003 #1
    I am not talking about prosthetic arms or legs, or artificial hearts which you need for your health. I am talking about cybernetic implants which you don't need for your health, but could arguably improve your quality of life.

Examples of this would be a microprocessor or solid state memory for your brain, eye implants, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2003 #2
    What is the difference between the third and the fifth choices?

4. Nov 23, 2003 #3
    The short answer is that the third indicates ambivalence, while the fifth indicates, for the lack of a more polite word, ignorance (or humour )

Someone who answers #3 might be convinced about their utility with the correct marketing. Or they might be afraid of such technology if they meet people strongly opposed to this technology. Someone who answers #5 wouldn't be bothered to find out. :frown:

5. Nov 23, 2003 #4
    I voted "Wait and see" but I do lean towards no such enhancements at all.

6. Nov 23, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Yes, but I will not want some?"

Houston, we have a problem.

- Warren

7. Nov 23, 2003 #6
    I voted "No, I won't want any."

Nothing's better than the real thing...unadulterated.

Cheers.

8. Nov 23, 2003 #7

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't mind a mind/machine interface where I could merely think the words/commands and they appear on the screen. Man that would cut down on drafting and typing time...

9. Nov 24, 2003 #8

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I would LOVE a memory upgrade. I paid $150 to get a palm pilot simply because my memory is terrible. I can remember numbers for YEARS but I can't remember anything trivial like names, places, events that have happened, events that are going to happen and so forth. I can remember the 4 digit combination to the bike lock I used from grade 1 to 6 but I can't remember what happened throughout the day if somebody asks me. Memory would sure be great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?