1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cybernetic enhancements: Will you want them?

1. Yes, definitely. I have no objections to them.

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes, but I will not want some.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Undecided. Wait and see.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. No, I won't want any.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Don't know.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Nov 23, 2003 #1
    I am not talking about prosthetic arms or legs, or artificial hearts which you need for your health. I am talking about cybernetic implants which you don't need for your health, but could arguably improve your quality of life.

Examples of this would be a microprocessor or solid state memory for your brain, eye implants, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2003 #2
    What is the difference between the third and the fifth choices?

4. Nov 23, 2003 #3
    The short answer is that the third indicates ambivalence, while the fifth indicates, for the lack of a more polite word, ignorance (or humour )

Someone who answers #3 might be convinced about their utility with the correct marketing. Or they might be afraid of such technology if they meet people strongly opposed to this technology. Someone who answers #5 wouldn't be bothered to find out. :frown:

5. Nov 23, 2003 #4
    I voted "Wait and see" but I do lean towards no such enhancements at all.

6. Nov 23, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Yes, but I will not want some?"

Houston, we have a problem.

- Warren

7. Nov 23, 2003 #6
    I voted "No, I won't want any."

Nothing's better than the real thing...unadulterated.

Cheers.

8. Nov 23, 2003 #7

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't mind a mind/machine interface where I could merely think the words/commands and they appear on the screen. Man that would cut down on drafting and typing time...

9. Nov 24, 2003 #8

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I would LOVE a memory upgrade. I paid $150 to get a palm pilot simply because my memory is terrible. I can remember numbers for YEARS but I can't remember anything trivial like names, places, events that have happened, events that are going to happen and so forth. I can remember the 4 digit combination to the bike lock I used from grade 1 to 6 but I can't remember what happened throughout the day if somebody asks me. Memory would sure be great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?