1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cycles and Permutations

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    Question

Let [itex]S_n[/itex] be the symmetric group on [itex]n[/itex] letters.

(i) Show that if [itex]\sigma = (x_1,\dots,x_k)[/itex] is a cycle and [itex]\phi \in S_n[/itex] then

[tex]\phi\sigma\phi^{-1} = (\phi(x_1),\dots,\phi(x_k))[/tex]

(ii) Show that the congujacy class of a permutation [itex]\sigma \in S_n[/itex] consists of all permutations in [itex]S_n[/itex] of the same cycle type as [itex]\sigma[/itex]

(iii) In the case of [itex]S_5[/itex], give the numbers of permutations of each cycle type

(iv) Find all normal subgroups of [itex]S_5[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2005 #2
    (i) Let [itex]\sigma = (x_1, \dots, x_k)[/itex]. Then since [itex]\sigma(x_i) = x_{i+1}[/itex] for [itex](1\leq i < k)[/itex] and [itex]\sigma(x_k) = x_1[/itex], then [itex]\phi\sigma\phi^{-1}(\phi(x_i)) = \phi\sigma(x_i) = \phi(x_{i+1})[/itex] and [itex]\phi\sigma\phi^{-1}(\phi(x_k)) = \phi\sigma(x_k) = \phi(x_1)[/itex]. So we can write

[tex]\phi\sigma\phi^{-1} = (\phi(x_1),\dots,\phi(x_k))[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  4. Apr 24, 2005 #3
    (iii) The list of cycle types in [itex]S_5[/itex] and the number of permutations for each:
    [itex](1)[/itex] \equiv [1^5] = 5!/(1^5*5!) = 1
    [itex](1 2)[/itex] \equiv [1^3*2*3!) = 5!/(1^3*2*3!) = 10
    [itex](1 2)(3 4)[/itex] \equiv [1^1*2^2] = 5!/(1^1*2^2*2!) = 15
    [itex](1 2 3)[/itex] \equiv [1^1*3^1] = 5!/1^2*3*2!) = 20
    [itex](1 2 3)(4 5)[/itex] \equiv [2*3] = 5!/(2*3) = 20
    [itex](1 2 3 4)[/itex] \equiv [1^1*4^1] = 5!/(1*4) = 30
    [itex](1 2 3 4 5)[/itex] \equiv [5] = 5!/5 = 24

And 1 + 10 + 15 + 20 + 20 + 30 + 24 = 120 = 5!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  5. Apr 24, 2005 #4
    (iv) A subgroup [itex]H[/itex] of the symmetric group [itex]S_n[/itex] is normal if [itex]\phi H = H\phi[/itex] for some [itex]\phi \in S_n [/itex]. Equivalently, if [itex]\phi H \phi^{-1} = H[/itex] for all [itex]\phi \in S_n[/itex]. That is, [itex]H[/itex] is a normal subgroup of [itex]S_n[/itex] if and only if, each conjugacy class of [itex]S_n[/itex] is either entirely inside [itex]H[/itex] or outside [itex]H[/itex].

But we know [itex]\phi H\phi^{-1} = \phi H[/itex] hence [itex]\phi[/itex] is the kernel of the homomorphism

6. Apr 24, 2005 #5
    (ii) Let [itex]\alpha \in S_n[/itex] be of the same cycle type as [itex]\sigma \in S_n[/itex]. Define [itex]\phi \in S_n[/itex] to be that permutation which maps each element [itex]x_i[/itex] in the cycle of [itex]\sigma[/itex] to the corresponding [itex]a[/itex] in the corresponding cycle of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. In other words, [itex]\phi : \sigma(x_i) \rightarrow \alpha(a_i)[/itex]. Which is equivalent in saying that [itex]\phi(\sigma(x_i)) = \alpha(a_i)[/itex]. Therefore, from the first part of the question we have

[tex]\alpha = \phi\sigma\phi^{-1}[/tex]

Therefore every pair of elements with the same type are conjugate.

7. Apr 25, 2005 #6
    Does anyone know if this is right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?