Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cycles, cycle and frequency

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I think it is very basic question and i could not able to figure it out anyhow. I have gone through an instrument material which working at 1000Hz. In that manual specifications, they have written about a setting 'cooling time --> 0-100 cycles'. there are also lot more options and those are all comes into the same hut. What does mean by these cycles?

Can I get any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

This refers to the heating and cooling that happens when you turn the instrument on and then after it has heated to a stable temperature, turn it off and let it cool down.
    Each time you did this would be called a cycle.

It could be part of a testing procedure to be sure the instrument didn't contain any badly soldered joints or other manufacturing faults.
    It would be an excellent thing to do, but I doubt if normal commercial equipment would get such rigorous testing. Maybe military or space equipment would.

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    I expect if you look carefully at that manual you will find they use the term 'settling time' (with an L) - that is the usual term for this.

go well

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4
    There are about 8 more options available based on the term cycles. For example repeat time, cooling time, hold time so on. All these are given as in cycles. I really not understand after your replies.

vk6kro I understand you at first and then lost again after reading the another reply.

Please discuss more.

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5
    It would help if you posted the name of this instrument.

What is it for?

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6
    it is about a welding device and you can find the manual down here.

http://www.iberobot.se/manualer/Manual_Customer_TEC6000_Spotwelding.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Feb 9, 2012 #7
    Well all the definitions of the different stages (operations) are given in the manual so the various 'times' are simply how long each stage takes. The sum will therefore equate to how long each weld takes, from placing the two components together to letting go the clamp.

The manufacturer is Swedish so I would guess uses 50 cycle mains ( though I am not sure as some welders use higher frequency). This is the one piece of information I can't see in the manual so you would have to check with the supplier.

Time is stated in cycles. So if you want to convert this to seconds divide by 50.

Does this help?

9. Feb 9, 2012 #8

If i select 30 cycles as time that means 30/50 according to your comment.

10. Feb 9, 2012 #9
    Yes if it is a 50 cycle mains welder.

However since your programmer works in cycles you should learn to think the orher way round ie in cycles.

So if your desired hold time is 1.5 seconds that is 50 times 1.5 cycles or 75 cycles.

11. Feb 13, 2012 #10
    I have been working on a project that related to improve the weld timing. In that material that i provided says weld time as 0 to 100 cycles. At present, The maximum weld time is 20 or 30ms were coming out. I working on it to improve it to 1second or more. As you said before that about 50 cycle mains. If so, Then my total time would become 2 sec if i use total cycles i.e 0 to 100.

I am quiet confused here that if above solution is correct why they gave me this simple task. I don't think so that there might be another issue take place.

Can you draw anything from that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook