What are the cyclic subgroups of U(30)?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the cyclic subgroups of U(30) by listing the generators of the group and determining if they can generate all the other elements. The conversation also touches on the concept of cyclic groups and the process of finding generators.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

List the cyclic subgroups of U(30)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to list the cyclic subgroups for U(30) , you need to lists the generators of U(30)

U(30)={1,7,11,13,17,19,23,29} . all the elements of U(30) are not generaters. in order to determine if an element is a generator of U(30) , you need to know that a^k =gcd(n,k)=

So 1 is is automatically a generator. I don't know how to determined how the rest of the elements are generators. Just to show that I'm not trying to learn how to determine the generators of U(30) and not trying to con someone into doing my homework, my textbook says the generators for U(30) are 1,7,27,19, 29

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine the cyclic group on a circle -- so they're actually cyclic. Generators are a certain spacing such that you get to every number before you go back to the beginning. As you've noted, a spacing of 1 is always possible. How about 2? It would go: 1, 3, 5 ... 29, 1, 3, ... so it would miss out the even numbers. 3? 1, 4, 7 ... 28, 1, 4, ... so it also misses things out. Try all the possibilities -- it shouldn't take that long, and you should spot a pattern pretty soon. Try making a conjecture about what's happening. Try proving it.

There are many misunderstandings here. 1 is not a generator of U(30). It is the identity element, so it can't generate. What the generators of U(30) are is immaterial. A cyclic subgroup is something generated by a single element. So what group does 1 generate, 2, 3, etc?

matt grime said:
There are many misunderstandings here. 1 is not a generator of U(30). It is the identity element, so it can't generate. What the generators of U(30) are is immaterial. A cyclic subgroup is something generated by a single element. So what group does 1 generate, 2, 3, etc?

My bad -- I was assuming an additive notation, with zero as the identity.

What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical concept that represents a set of elements that can be generated by repeatedly applying a single operation to a starting element. This operation can be multiplication, addition, or any other binary operation that follows certain rules.

What is the order of a cyclic group?

The order of a cyclic group is the number of elements it contains. It can also be thought of as the number of times the operation needs to be applied to the starting element to generate all the elements in the group. For example, a cyclic group with order 4 can be generated by applying the operation 4 times to the starting element.

Is every group cyclic?

No, not every group is cyclic. A group is considered cyclic if it can be generated by a single element. If a group cannot be generated by a single element, it is not cyclic. For example, the group of integers under addition is not cyclic, as it cannot be generated by a single integer.

What is the generator of a cyclic group?

The generator of a cyclic group is the element that is used to generate all the other elements in the group. It is also known as a primitive element. In a cyclic group, every element can be expressed as a power of the generator.

How are cyclic groups used in real-world applications?

Cyclic groups have various applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. In cryptography, they are used to generate secure encryption keys. In coding theory, they are used to create error-correcting codes. In physics, they are used to describe symmetries in physical systems.