1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cyclic group/ subgroup proof

1. Aug 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a cyclic group of order n, and let r be an integer dividing n. Prove that G contains exactly one subgroup of order r.

2. Relevant equations

cyclic group, subgroup

3. The attempt at a solution
    Say the group G is {x^0, x^1, ..., x^(n-1)}
    If there is a subgroup H of order r, it must be cyclic, because: why? I can't figure it out, but I have a feeling that it must be cyclic.

H is generated by some element, call it b=x^m. Since x^r = 0, we have (x^m)(x^m)... (r times) = 0. Thus mr=n and H must be the cyclic group generated by x^(n/r).

I have a feeling that I have the right idea but I don't know how to show that a group is cyclic. Could someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2010 #2
    Oh wait, I can use the fact that the cyclic subgroup G is isomorphic to Z/nZ with additive law of composition. Then can I say that any subgroup of Z/nZ must be in the form Z/mZ and then use the isomorphism idea to get back to H being a cyclic subgroup?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook