1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclic normal groups

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1
    Let H be normal in G, H cyclic. Show any subgroup K of H is normal in G.

I was thinking about using the fact that subgroups of cyclic groups are cyclic, and that subgroups of cyclic groups are (fully)Characteristic (is that true?). Then we would have
    K char in H and H normal in G.
    Hence K normal in G.

I am not sure about the part where subgroups of cyclic groups are characteristic. If yes, How would you prove this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think concretely. A cyclic group is isomorphic to either the integers Z, or the integers mod n, Z_n. Can you prove any subgroup of those is characteristic?

4. Dec 30, 2008 #3
    I am thinking maybe that since cyclic groups of a certain order are unique up to isomorphism and that if a subgroup K of a certain order is unique in a group H, then K char in G.

Now since K is cyclic in H, then K char in H.

5. Dec 30, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Something like that. If you can prove there is exactly one subgroup of a given order in Z_n then you've got it. In the infinite case of Z, it's not going to be useful to consider order though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?