Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cyclic Permutation in C

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    Use nested for loops to produce the following pattern of cyclic permutations of the English
    alphabet:
    abcde......yz
    bcdef......za
    cdef......zab
    zabcde......xy
    HINT: you may find the modulo (remainder) operator % useful.

I have an idea of how to do this but it would not use the modulo operator. I thought of saving the first letter of an array into a variable, shifting everything else down one and putting it at the end. This also would only implement a single for loop. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    Yes, there are probably a million ways to do this, but I suggest that you have one loop generating the first character of each string and an inner loop (since that what was asked for) generating the successive letters of each string - using modulo operator to make the wrap from z to a.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot. Took me a bit to get the wrap around to work properly but I got it. I don't think modulo was very intuitive to me before but now I get it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook