Calculating Heat Transfer and Work in Cyclic Processes | Refrigerator Example

• Thread starter ariana0923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary, a refrigerator does 1.51 x 10^4 J of work on the refrigerant and the refrigerant removes 7.55 x 10^4 J of heat from the inside air. The energy transferred as heat to the outside air is 7.55 x 10^4 J. The net change in the internal energy of the refrigerant is 0 J, as well as the net change in the internal energy of the air inside the refrigerator. No work is done on the air inside the refrigerator due to the constant volume.
ariana0923

Homework Statement

Over several cycles, a refrigerator does 1.51 x 10^4 J of work on the refrigerant. The refrigerant in turn removes 7.55 x 10^4 J as heat from the air inside the refrigerator.

a. how much energy is transferred as heat to the outside air?
b. what is the net change in the internal energy of the refrigerant?
c. what is the amount of work done on the air inside the refrigerator?
d. what is the net change in the internal energy of the air inside the refrigerator?

Homework Equations

U=Internal Energy
Q=Heat
W=Work

ΔU = Q-W
ΔUnet = 0
Qnet=Wnet

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to teach myself physics, so I think I'm getting really confused here. First of all, I get mixed up on when to put negative signs in front of numbers or if I even have to in cyclic processes.

I got the right answers (given by my online school) but it may have just been luck.

**I only need help with a and d and somewhat ca. -7.55 x 10^4 = (1.51 x 10^4 - x)
-9.06 x 10^4= -x
x=9.06 x 10^4 J

Did i do that right at all?

b. I know ΔUnet=0 J in cyclic processes

c. no work done b/c ΔV=0 (how would i know that this is so?)

d. the answer is ΔU= -7.55 x 10^4 but I'm not sure how to mathematically get it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) If you remove heat from the fridge, you have to dump it outside. It should just be 7.55*10^4 J

d) Internal energy is just a function of temperature. You remove heat, thus its considered a negative change.

c) When there is no volume change, there is no displacement of anything due to the force (pressure times area) exerted by the gas. Therefore the gas does no work when its volume is constant.

What is heat transfer and work in cyclic processes?

Heat transfer and work in cyclic processes refer to the transfer of thermal energy and the performance of mechanical work in a closed system that undergoes a repeating cycle of processes.

How is heat transfer and work calculated in a cyclic process?

In a cyclic process, the total heat transfer can be calculated by the difference between the heat added to the system and the heat rejected by the system. The work done by the system can be calculated by the difference between the total heat transfer and the change in internal energy of the system.

What is an example of heat transfer and work in a cyclic process?

A refrigerator is a common example of a cyclic process where heat is transferred from the inside of the refrigerator to the outside, and work is done to maintain a constant temperature inside the refrigerator.

What is the first law of thermodynamics and how does it relate to heat transfer and work in cyclic processes?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This principle applies to heat transfer and work in cyclic processes, as the total energy of the system remains constant throughout the cycle.

How are the efficiency and coefficient of performance calculated in a refrigeration cycle?

The efficiency of a refrigeration cycle is calculated by dividing the desired output (cooling) by the required input (work done by the system). The coefficient of performance is calculated by dividing the desired output (cooling) by the required input (work done on the system).