Cyclic Quadrilaterals: Understanding Angle Equality and Ptolemy's Theorem

• Thread starter Buri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cyclic quadrilaterals and how certain angles are equal. The participants reference two images from Wikipedia and discuss using the center theorem to prove the equality of angles in the same segment of a circle.
Buri
Well this isn't a homework question (I'm just trying to refresh my memory from the plane geometry I did in high school) and so, I was reading through cyclic quadrilaterals on wikipedia and I don't see how certain angles are equal. Here are two images taken from wikipedia:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Ptolemy's_theorem.svg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Ptolemy_sine_proof.svg

How are the blue angles equal? Or the theta 2 equal?

I've tried writing things in different way and extending lines, but to no avail. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are angles in the same segment of the circle. And angles in the same segment are equal.

You can prove this by using constructing lines from the end of the segment-chord to center of the circle. Then use the center theorem for both.

I agree with the legend, you can see that they're equal if you're happy with the "angle at center is twice angle at circumference."

1. What is a cyclic quadrilateral?

A cyclic quadrilateral is a four-sided polygon where all four vertices lie on the same circle. This means that the opposite angles of the quadrilateral are supplementary, adding up to 180 degrees.

2. How do angles in a cyclic quadrilateral relate to each other?

In a cyclic quadrilateral, the opposite angles are equal, meaning that they have the same measure. Additionally, the sum of any two adjacent angles is equal to 180 degrees.

3. What is Ptolemy's theorem?

Ptolemy's theorem states that in a cyclic quadrilateral, the product of the diagonals is equal to the sum of the products of the opposite sides.

4. How can Ptolemy's theorem be used to solve problems?

Ptolemy's theorem can be used to solve for unknown side lengths or angles in a cyclic quadrilateral. By setting up an equation with the known values and using algebraic manipulation, the unknown values can be calculated.

5. Are there any real-life applications of cyclic quadrilaterals and Ptolemy's theorem?

Yes, cyclic quadrilaterals and Ptolemy's theorem have several real-life applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and navigation. They can be used to calculate distances and angles in various structures and to solve problems involving circular motion.