1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclic Rule

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    I dont quite understand why cyclic rule works (from Pchem)

(del x/ del y)_z = part of x with respect to y, hold z constant

I dont know why is it negative 1?

del x/ del y)_z * del y/ del z)_x * del z/ del x)_y = -1

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    You could derive it. Not sure if there is any other way to imagine it
    [tex]\mathrm{d}z=\left.\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_y\mathrm{d}x+\left.\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_x\mathrm{d}y[/tex]
    Now to get [itex]\left.\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_z[/itex] from the above equation just find the fraction [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}y}[/itex] under the condition that [itex]\mathrm{d}z=0[/itex], i.e.
    [tex]\left.\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_z=\left.\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} y}\right)_{\mathrm{d}z=0}=-\frac{\left.\partial z/\partial y\right)_x}{\left.\partial z/\partial x\right)_y}[/tex]
    The minus sign comes from rearranging the first equation.

Also
    [tex]\left.\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_x=\frac{1}{\left.\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right)_x}[/tex]
    or
    [tex]\left.\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_x\left.\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right)_x=1[/tex]
    The apparent cancellation is only possible since both derivatives have the same variables kept constant!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook