1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclic Sequence of Angles

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Cyclic Sequence of Angles

Fix an angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. Let n be a positive integer and define [itex]\theta_n = n\theta \bmod 2\pi[/itex].

The sequence [itex]\theta_1, \theta_2, \ldots[/itex] is cyclic if if it starts repeating itself at some point, i.e. the sequence has the form [itex]\theta_1, \ldots, \theta_k, \theta_1 \ldots[/itex].

What I would like to find out is: For which angles [itex]\theta[/itex] is the sequence [itex]\{\theta_n\}[/itex] cyclic? If for some integer m > 1, [itex]\theta_1 = \theta_m \equiv \theta = m\theta[/itex], then [itex]m\theta = \theta + 2\pi x[/itex] for some non-negative integer x. Solving for [itex]\theta[/itex], I get [itex]\theta = 2\pi x / (m - 1)[/itex]. So it seems that any rational multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex] will create a cyclic sequence. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Any rational multiple of pi creates a cyclic sequence. Why are you insecure about this?

4. Feb 21, 2008 #3
    This all began when I started contemplating about the limit as n approaches infinity of zn, z being complex with |z| < 1. If I represent z as r(cos t + isin t), zn = rn(cos nt + isin nt). If {nt} is cyclic, then I could break up the sine and cosine terms, multiply through by rn and apply the limit on each term. Each term goes to 0 because r < 1 so the limit is 0. Right?

5. Feb 21, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but you don't have to worry about 'cyclic' |cos nt+i*sin nt| is bounded, since |cos|<=1 and |sin|<=1. Regardless of the arguments. So if you multiply by r^n with r<1, the result certainly goes to 0.

6. Feb 21, 2008 #5
    That makes sense. So for any complex z with |z| < 1, zn goes to 0 as n goes to infinity. I began feeling paranoid about this when I was trying to compute the limit of nzn as n goes to infinity. I rewrote this as n/z-n and applied l'Hopital's rule to get -zn/log z. I wasn't sure about the limit of zn here, but now I am. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?