1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclic subspaces question.

1. May 31, 2006 #1
    prove that Z(v,T)=Z(u,T) iff g(T)(u)=v, where g(t) is prime compared to a nullify -T of u. (which means f(t) is the minimal polynomial of u, i.e f(T)(u)=0). (i think that when they mean 'is prime compared to' that f(t)=ag(t) for some 'a' scalar).

i tried proving this way:
    suppose, g(T)(u)=v and suppose v belongs to V v doesn't equal 0, so f(T)(u)=0=av
    a=0, i need to show that some polynomial function of v belong to V too, but i don't really know how?
    and i need help on other way proof (suppose, Z(v,T)=Z(u,T)).

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is Z(v,T), what is T (we can guess from context but shouldn't have to), what is a 'nullify -T of u' (that makes no sense as a sentence, nullify is a verb)?

For what its worth two polynomials f and g are prime if the ideal they span is all of the polynomial ring, or equivalently there exits polys h and k such that fh+gk=1 (or they have no common factors) and does not mean one is a scalar multiple of the other.

4. May 31, 2006 #3
    Z(v,T) is a T cyclic subspace of V which is spanned by v. v is a vector which belongs to V, and T is a linear operator T:V->V.
    nullify is a unique polynomial f(t) (f(t)=t^k+...+a1t+t) of lowest rank which its highest degree coefficient is 1 such that: f(T)(v)=0.

5. May 31, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Z(v,T) is the subspace *generated* by T and v ie the smallest subspace invariant under T and containing v. It is *not* 'spanned' by v, it is spanned by v, Tv, T^2v,.. T^kv (and these are a basis, where k is the k in your expression for f). Span and generation have subtly different meanings, and I think you should keep them separate.

Nullify is still a verb. f(t) is the minimal poly which nullifies v (apparently) but that does not mean you can call it 'the nullify'.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  6. May 31, 2006 #5
    ok, now that matters are cleared any other hints on this question?

7. May 31, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, as I put in my first post, start with the definition of coprime polynomials too see what is going on.

(note that your assertion that prime meant f(t)=ag(t) can't be what was meant, since f(T)u=0 by definition, hence ag(T)u=0, and Z(0,T)=0 which is not in general Z(u,T)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?