Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclic voltammetry

1. Oct 18, 2004 #1
    I'm trying to do this ferrocene lab, and we did cyclic voltammetry on our purified product and I calculated these results:

E_1/2= 664.6 mV
    I_pc/I_pa=-.6221
    Delta Ep=29.2 mV

Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean? I don't really understand what voltammetry tells you about your compound.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello, I've found this link for your evaluation. In here, it reads the following:
    Regards, chem_tr

4. Oct 18, 2004 #3
    Hey thanks a lot I appreciate your help. Can I just ask 1 more question? When comparing cobaltocene with nickelocene which would be more reactive? I know that Cobaltocene has a 19 e- count and nickelocene a 20 e- count. Both would like to get to a stable 18 e- count. So would Cobaltocene be more reactive since it only has to get rid of 1 e- or would nickelocene be more reactive?

5. Oct 19, 2004 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think nickelocene would be more reactive, since it has to get rid of two electrons to reach the stable 18 electron configuration as soon as possible. However in another viewpoint, giving two electrons requires higher energy than giving only one electron as evidenced with alkali and earth alkali metal ions.

You may want to check this website for useful information. Your textbooks should give some hints about the stability. Ferrocene is more stable I know it, but I think stability decreases with increasing electron count from 18.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?