Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclists are a pain in the rear

1. Oct 11, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I do not know about around you way but around my neck of the woods cyclists on bendy country lanes are a danger to traffic, numerous times i have been in a car and saw cyclists traveling three abreast blocking one whole lane, if one comes across them on a bend there is nothing one can do but slow down and follow them, why don't they travel in single file? if they have to use country roads.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would expect that they are supposed to ride single file so as not to obstruct traffic. One may wish to consult a constable or local/shire traffic laws.

When I ride, I use cycling lanes or less trafficked routes to avoid obstructing traffic. Fortunately in local area, there are ample bike lanes in which to ride. Out in the rural areas, there are shoulders on the roads, although without traffic, I'll ride where the pavement is not so rough and strewn with debris. The vast majority of drivers are courteous and mindful of cyclists, and I reciprocate.

4. Oct 11, 2015 #3
    It's my impression that cyclists feel they are morally superior to auto drivers and, therefore, should be deferred to. The cyclists feel they are both protecting the environment and taking care of their own health, while the auto driver is hurting the environment and getting fat while doing it. Pumped up by this feeling they are so much more responsible than car drivers, they do not mind blocking your way, and, in fact, probably enjoy it.

5. Oct 11, 2015 #4

wolram

Gold Member

That is right Zooby, if cyclists want to hog the roads they should pay tax or some other payment.

6. Oct 11, 2015 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've been in the Lake District with a car this past week and have no objection to those who choose to travel on two wheels slowing my progress from time to time.

It's difficult to understand the frame of mind that objects so strongly to cyclists on the road.

7. Oct 11, 2015 #6
    I always give a strong long beep in those situations, to scare them off a bit ;)

8. Oct 11, 2015 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

See Jeff the Cyclist, in the Pearls Before Swine comic strip -- http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2013/01/13

I don't either, and will slow down when I come up on people riding bicycles. What I object to is when they ride two or three abreast, forcing auto drivers to veer into the oncoming lane.

I speak as someone who has ridden bicycles many thousands of miles, going back to the late '50s.

9. Oct 11, 2015 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Woolie, I've paraphrased you here:

"...cyclists on bendy country lanes are a danger to traffic, ... if one comes across them on a bend..."

but I put the following to you: are they any more danger than any other obstruction in the road behind a bend? What if there were a slow-moving car? A stalled car? A deer? A small child?

You are responsible for ensuring you do not collide with any of the above. You are responsible for ensuring that, upon approaching a blind curve, you do not overdrive your safe stopping distance.

That addresses the issue of danger, now I'll address the issue of inconvenience.

10. Oct 11, 2015 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I deal with cyclists everyday in my Megalopolis. I'm a die-hard driver but I recognize that I am a dinosaur. Cycling is the way of the future for us, so I concede to the greater good.

I believe they are riding abreast, not out of orneriness but out of assertiveness for their rights. At least here, bicycles are full-fledged vehicles that are entitled to occupy the lane, just like any car is. If they rode single file, you would pass them with little thought, as if they were pedestrians on the side of the road. That would be more dangerous to them. They are saying give us the respect as fellow vehicles - albeit, slow vehicles. When you approach is from behind, slow down. We will (probably) move out of your way.

11. Oct 11, 2015 #10
    Yes, that's the attitude.

Same here. I used to practically live on my bicycle. However, my attitude was: cars are more massive and can kill me despite my right-of-way, so I will scoot out of their path at all times. I wanted to ride a bike and also live.

12. Oct 11, 2015 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's a matter of courtesy. Riding as if you're the only one that matters on the road, whether you're on a bike or in a car, is selfish and serves only to irritate and anger others on the road. Bicyclists should avoid riding in a way that impedes the flow of traffic.

That said, a lot of car drivers suffer from a sense of entitlement. They have to recognize that bicycle riders have as much right to use the roads as they do.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  13. Oct 11, 2015 #12

wolram

Gold Member

I would not mind if cyclists paid to use the roads, but they do not, many times i have noted a gaggle of cyclists slowing down traffic and causing a long tail back, to me it is clear they should ride single file then the traffic can pass unhindered.

14. Oct 11, 2015 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The problem is, when cyclists are inconsiderate, drivers are inconvenienced. Whereas when drivers are inconsiderate, cyclists die.

Forgive the hyperbole, but one could look at cyclists operating as if an oppressed group. Once an oppressed group reaches a certain saturation, they can (and must) enforce their rights that the majority aren't yet ready to cede.

Perhaps they need to take page out of another recently-oppressed group's book:

We're here, and we're in-gear! :smile:

15. Oct 11, 2015 #14

Mark44

The problem is, when cyclists are inconsiderate, drivers are inconvenienced, possibly causing them to pass unsafely, with the potential for cyclists and motorists dying.

16. Oct 11, 2015 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That does not transfer onus to the cyclist. The onus is still on the driver to not kill anyone, even if it means being inconvenienced.

Your argument is tantamount to that oft abused defense "they were asking for it".

17. Oct 11, 2015 #16
    I don't think it's a matter of them paying at all. Cars aren't appreciated when they slow traffic, so neither are cyclists. People's expectations are that traffic should proceed at around the speed limit, weather and road conditions permitting.

Bike lanes are an afterthought that was fitted to pre-existing roads not designed for them. Cyclists should bear that in mind.

18. Oct 11, 2015 #17

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

See?

19. Oct 11, 2015 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once was thinking of recording the sound of a car making a very sudden break, with screeching noises, followed by the sound of a crash. I thought I would play it to passing pedestrians at random (definitely not to other drivers/cyclists), see what happenned. Never followed through. Maybe I'll do it now and use it as my new ringtone, instead of the " You are _not_ the father" ringtone (M.Povich show) I now use.

20. Oct 11, 2015 #19

Mark44

I agree that the motorist bears direct responsibility, but had the cyclist been more courteous, the accident wouldn't have happened at all. For that reason, I hold the cyclist at least partly responsible. In the scenario that wolram talked about, with a long line of cars behind a group or riders riding abreast, that's a situation positively ripe for an accident.
    If you crawl into the den of a hibernating bear, and poke it with a stick, you are asking for it.
    I think vela has it right -

21. Oct 11, 2015 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Good thing. I can think of several charges that could be laid, including mischief and assault. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook