1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cycloalkane numbering

1. Aug 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In one internet site it is 1-propyl-2-methylcyclopentane and in other it is 1-ethyl-2-propylcyclohexane

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know when two different substituents could receive the same number, number them by alphabetical order. So I can understand 1-ethyl-2-propylcyclohexane but it contradict with 1-propyl-2-methylcyclopentane. Are they both right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Wouldn't hurt to see the molecule in question (especially taking into account cyclopentane and cyclohexane are two completely different backbones).

4. Aug 4, 2015 #3
    cycloalkane.jpg

5. Aug 4, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

These are two different molecules.

6. Aug 4, 2015 #5
    They both are cycloalkanes, I wanted to know how are they numbered for nomenclature.

7. Aug 4, 2015 #6
    I learned alphabetical order or by complexity. Your first example uses neither. Maybe the rules have been liberalized.

8. Aug 5, 2015 #7
    If there are two substituent consecutively in a cycloalkane, I think it shouldn't matter which ever substituent is numbered 1, because it wouldn't change the molecular structure.

That is,
    1-propyl-2-methylcyclopentane or 1-methyl-2-propylcyclopentane,
    1-ethyl-2-propylcyclohexane or 1-propyl-2-ethylcyclohexane

Also if there were more than two substituent, they can be numbered , from left or from right.

9. Aug 5, 2015 #8
    As long as it's unambiguous, I guess it's OK....fewer rules to have to remember.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted