1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cycloid Particle question

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves in a plane according to

x= Rsin(wt) = wRt
    y= Rcos(wt) + R

where w and R are constants. This curve, called a cycloid, is the path traced out by a point on the rim of a wheel which rolls without slipping along the x-axis.

(a) Sketch the path.

(b) Calculate the instantaneous velocity and acceleration when the particle is at its maximum and minimum value of y.

2. Relevant equations

x= Rsin(wt) = wRt
    y= Rcos(wt) + R

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew up the path of the particle, as a cycloid of course. No problem with that.
    I am having problems understand part b, with relation to the curve.

I differentiated the given equations wrt to x.

dy/dt = -Rw sin (wt)
    dx/dt= Rw cos (wt) + wR

then i proceed to find dy/dx = [Rw sin (wt)]/[Rw cos (wt) + wR]

Ymaximum should be 2R (diameter of the rim of the wheel)

I also went ahead to find values of x which corresponds to the maximum and minimum values of y.
    Values of X for maximum Y = 0, 2pie, ...
    Values of X for minimum Y = pie, 3pie, ...

Instantaneous velocity is tangent of the curve of a position time graph, which is it the same as the graph i drew out?

Then back to the original question, the instantaneous velocity at maximum y is therefore 0? and instantaneous velocity at minimum y is infinity?

I know I have a conceptual error somewhere but I just can't figure it out.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

You mean x=Rsin(wt) + wRt, don't you?

Your graph shows y in terms of x. Both the velocity and the acceleration are vectors. vx=dx/dt, vy=dy/dt. The tangent of this graph shows the direction of velocity at the given point. The x and y components of the acceleration are the time-derivatives of vx and vy, respectively.

You have found already that
    dy/dt = -Rw sin (wt)
    dx/dt= Rw cos (wt) + wR

vx=dx/t and vydy/dt.
    At what time instants is y maximum or minimum? Find and plug in the values for t in the equations for vx and vy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook