Finding Non-Zero Terms and Interval of Convergence for Cycloid Power Series

In summary, the problem is asking for the first non-zero term, general term, and interval of convergence for the cycloid power series. The equations given for the cycloid are y = -a + acos(theta) and x = a(theta) - asin(theta). The solution involves using Taylor polynomials and finding the derivative of the function. However, the poster is unsure of how to do this in parametric mode and asks for guidance.
mathwiz1234

Homework Statement

Find the first non-zero terms, the general term for the cycloid power series, and the interval of convergence for the cycloid power series.

cycloid:
y=-a+acos(theta)
x=a(theta)-asin(theta)

Homework Equations

I know that f(a)+ f'(a)(x-a)+ f''(a)(x-a)^2... will give me the right
answer but I don't know how to do this in parametric mode or what
really do other than what I've listed below. Thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the basics for taylor polynomials. for a cycloid,

y=-a+acos(theta)
x=a(theta)-asin(theta)

so, dy/dx=-sin(theta)/1-cos(theta)

I also know that d(dy/dx)/dx=d^2y/dx^2

Physics news on Phys.org
=-cos(theta)/(1-cos(theta))^2But I don't know what to do after that or how to find the first non-zero term, the general term for the cycloid power series, and the interval of convergence for the cycloid power series.

What is a Cycloid power series?

A Cycloid power series is a mathematical concept that represents the equation of a cycloid, a curve traced by a point on the circumference of a rolling circle.

What is the equation for a Cycloid power series?

The equation for a Cycloid power series is x = r(θ - sinθ), y = r(1 - cosθ), where r is the radius of the rolling circle and θ is the angle of rotation.

What is the significance of Cycloid power series?

Cycloid power series have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering, including the study of pendulum motion, gear design, and the design of roller coasters.

How are Cycloid power series derived?

Cycloid power series are derived by using the principles of calculus to solve for the position of a point on the circumference of a rolling circle at any given time.

What are the limitations of Cycloid power series?

While Cycloid power series are useful for certain applications, they have limitations when applied to more complex curves and shapes. Additionally, the equations can become more difficult to solve for certain values of r and θ.