1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cycloid question

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1
    The parametric equations of a cycloid are [tex] x=a(\theta - \sin\theta) \mbox{ and } y = a(1-\cos\theta) \\[/tex] Where a is a constant. Show that s^2=8ay, where s is the arc length measured from the point theta =0

[tex] \frac{dx}{d\theta} =a(1-\cos\theta) \mbox{ and } \frac{dy}{d\theta}= a\sin\theta\\ [/tex]
    [tex] \int\sqrt{a^2(1-\cos\theta)^2 +a^2\sin^2 \theta}d\theta \\ = \sqrt{2}a\int\sqrt{1 - \cos\theta}d\theta\\[/tex]. I don't know how to do the integration, a hint would be welcome. Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a half angle formula that can help you a lot.

4. Sep 3, 2007 #3
    IS it [tex] \cos2\theta = \frac{1-\tan^2 \theta}{1+tan^2\theta} [/tex]

5. Sep 3, 2007 #4
    What is [tex]\sin{\frac{\theta}{2}}[/tex] ?

6. Sep 4, 2007 #5
    I got this formula [tex] \sin^2 \theta = \frac{1}{2}(1-\cos2\theta) \\ \mbox{ therefore we have the integral =} \sqrt{2}a\int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{2\sin^2 \frac{\theta}{2}}d\theta \\[/tex] . When I evaluate this integral I get s=8a not s^2=8ay. I have to look up what the [tex] \sin\frac{\theta}{2} \[/tex] equals.

7. Sep 4, 2007 #6
    The half-angle formula is: [tex] \sin\frac{\theta}{2} = \sqrt{\frac{(s-b)(s-c)}{bc}} \mbox{ where } \ s=\frac{a+b+c}{2} \\[/tex]. How do I use this? Thanks.

8. Sep 4, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks like a triangle formula - why would you want to use that? I agree with you that the integral from 0 to 2pi is 8a. y(2pi)=0. So s^2=8ay doesn't work. It does work for pi. But it doesn't work for pi/2. I don't think its a very good formula.

9. Sep 5, 2007 #8
    A cycloid is the path traced out by a point on a car wheel as the car is moving at constant speed, I think. Therefore the limits of integration would be 0 to pi.Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?