Cycloid Particle: Finding Velocity and Acceleration

• Thread starter shyta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, a particle moves in a plane according to the equations x= Rsin(wt) + wRt and y= Rcos(wt) + R, where w and R are constants. This curve, known as a cycloid, is formed by the path of a point on the rim of a wheel that rolls without slipping along the x-axis. To find the instantaneous velocity and acceleration when the particle is at its maximum and minimum values of y, we can differentiate the given equations with respect to time and use the values of t when y is at its maximum or minimum. The tangent of the position-time graph shows the direction of velocity, and the x and y components of the acceleration can be found by taking the time-
shyta

Homework Statement

A particle moves in a plane according to

x= Rsin(wt) = wRt
y= Rcos(wt) + R

where w and R are constants. This curve, called a cycloid, is the path traced out by a point on the rim of a wheel which rolls without slipping along the x-axis.

Question:
(a) Sketch the path.

(b) Calculate the instantaneous velocity and acceleration when the particle is at its maximum and minimum value of y.

Homework Equations

x= Rsin(wt) = wRt
y= Rcos(wt) + R

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew up the path of the particle, as a cycloid of course. No problem with that.
I am having problems understand part b, with relation to the curve.

I differentiated the given equations wrt to x.

i.e.
dy/dt = -Rw sin (wt)
dx/dt= Rw cos (wt) + wR

then i proceed to find dy/dx = [Rw sin (wt)]/[Rw cos (wt) + wR]

Ymaximum should be 2R (diameter of the rim of the wheel)

I also went ahead to find values of x which corresponds to the maximum and minimum values of y.
Values of X for maximum Y = 0, 2pie, ...
Values of X for minimum Y = pie, 3pie, ...

Instantaneous velocity is tangent of the curve of a position time graph, which is it the same as the graph i drew out?

Then back to the original question, the instantaneous velocity at maximum y is therefore 0? and instantaneous velocity at minimum y is infinity?

I know I have a conceptual error somewhere but I just can't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
shyta said:

Homework Statement

A particle moves in a plane according to

x= Rsin(wt) = wRt
y= Rcos(wt) + R

You mean x=Rsin(wt) + wRt, don't you?

shyta said:

Instantaneous velocity is tangent of the curve of a position time graph, which is it the same as the graph i drew out?

Your graph shows y in terms of x. Both the velocity and the acceleration are vectors. vx=dx/dt, vy=dy/dt. The tangent of this graph shows the direction of velocity at the given point. The x and y components of the acceleration are the time-derivatives of vx and vy, respectively.

You have found already that
dy/dt = -Rw sin (wt)
dx/dt= Rw cos (wt) + wR

vx=dx/t and vydy/dt.
At what time instants is y maximum or minimum? Find and plug in the values for t in the equations for vx and vy.

ehild

What is a Cycloid Particle?

A Cycloid Particle is a type of particle that follows a cycloidal path, meaning it moves along a curve that is traced by a point on the circumference of a circle as it rolls along a straight line.

What are some real-life applications of Cycloid Particles?

Cycloid Particles have been used in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food processing, and agriculture. They can be used for mixing, grinding, and separating particles of different sizes and densities.

How are Cycloid Particles different from other types of particles?

Cycloid Particles have a unique movement pattern compared to other particles. They move in a cycloidal path, which allows for more efficient and precise mixing and separation.

Can Cycloid Particles be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, Cycloid Particles can be manipulated and controlled using various methods such as changing the speed and direction of the rotating circle, adjusting the angle of the straight line, and using external forces such as magnets.

What are the potential benefits of using Cycloid Particles in scientific research?

Cycloid Particles offer several benefits in scientific research, including improved efficiency and accuracy in mixing and separating particles, the ability to control and manipulate the particles, and the potential for new discoveries and innovations in various industries.