1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclometric Functions

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate [tex]arccot \left( \frac{1}{cot( \pi/5)} \right)[/tex] The answer may not contain any cyclometric functions.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can someone tell me where I went wrong? Cause I'm going insaaaane over this problem!

[tex]arccot \left( \frac{1}{cot( \pi/5)} \right)[/tex]

[tex]arccot(x) = \frac{arccos(x)}{arcsin(x)} = \frac{1}{arctan(x)} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{arctan\left( \frac{1}{cot( \pi/5)} \right)}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{arctan\left( \frac{1}{ \frac{cos(\pi/5)}{sin(\pi/5)}} \right)}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{arctan\left( \frac{sin(\pi/5)}{ cos(\pi/5)} \right)}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{arctan\left(tan(\pi/5) \right)}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{\pi/5} = \frac{5}{\pi}[/tex]

And according to the practise test I'm doing, this is wrong.. help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

[tex]{\rm arccot}(x) \ne \frac{\arccos(x)}{\arcsin(x)} [/tex]

Try drawing a triangle.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    Ah that sucks.. why didn't my teacher say so? Is it true for arctan? cos I used arctanx = arcsinx / arccosx in class today (at the blackboard) and got the right answer and he didn't say anything?

Anyway, I solved the problem (thanks for that tip, I never think of using triangles!) by saying that arccot(1/cotx) = arccot(tanx), but tanx=cot(90-x), i.e. 3π/10. Thanks!

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    Actually, scratch that ^. I do get the right answer, but I didn't use that with tan, sorry.. I confused it, the other way around (tan(arccosx)= sin(arccosx)/cos(arccosx). My bad, weird/stressful day.

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Correct! And as you've figured out, the ratios like tan=sin/cos apply to the trig functions, and not to their inverses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook